Liquid "Sugar In The Raw"

  • Gy. G. R. Dioguardi
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
      Is there a way to ferment the liquid product of Sugar in the Raw. I want to know what the end result would turn out to be.

      Ciao,

      + Bish

      ===
    • Edward de Kent
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
        What do you mean "liquid product?"  Like if you dissolved sugar in the raw in water then added yeast?  That would basically be an undistilled cachaça, which is normally made from sugarcane juice, which is basically what dissolved sugar in the raw would be.  The alcohol content would depend on how strong the sugar solution was and the variety of yeast you used.  A high-tolerance commercial yeast like premier cuvee can handle up to 18% and some have reported going higher with it.

        I imagine the taste would be like a (relatively) watered-down cachaça or light rum.

        -Edward de Kent

        On Dec 5, 2012, at 9:50 PM, "Gy. G. R. Dioguardi" <baronbish@...> wrote:

        Is there a way to ferment the liquid product of Sugar in the Raw. I want to know what the end result would turn out to be.

        Ciao,

        + Bish

        ===

      • leaking pen

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                it would be the predecessor to rum
                Morrigan Graham

                To: sca_brew@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                  I've been told that fermented sucrose doesn't make for a good fermented drink.  An alternative would be to make a simple syrup.  Simple syrup is what you get when you boil a dissaccharide (sucrose) and it splits into its monosaccarides, fructose and glucose.  It would likely retain some characteristics of sugar in the raw, but the fructose will be sweeter than the sucrose after the boiling.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                    Pity this stuff appears to have a preservative in it.  Accidental fermentation must have been anticipated by the company.  Wouldn't want to get sued for this stuff fermenting on its own.  Potassium, it doesn't say much else, like what it's bonded to, but if it were Potassium Sorbate, then it would be a common neutering chemical in homebrewing.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                        Not quite. Rum has more molasses than sugar.  It's got a few other sugars in it, and other stuff in the goo causes different esters to form, giving a different flavor profile.   (also, a liquid waiting to be distilled to a spirit is a wort)

                        To: sca_brew@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                            Simple syrup is just sugar boiled into a solution.  Invert syrup is when you've split it, usually as part of a long boil with an acid. (golden syrup is an invert syrup. Delicious on pancakes!)

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 6, 2012
                                http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16575
                                Vincenzo

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 6, 2012
                                  I also found this...this is from a shipping firm...for the handling of raw sugar...it says NOTHING about any anti fermentation chemicals ....as does ll the brewing suff I could find on the net
                                  http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/zucker/rohzucke/rohzucke.htm#biotische%20aktivitaet
                                  Vincenzo

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 6, 2012

                                    As long as you invert the sugar and
                                    Use a high tolerant yeast you should be good.
                                    I like to add  yeast nutient during the boil, and good shot of O2 airation jump.starts the fermentation. I use this meathod
                                    For making rum and cordials for christmas as the base alcohol has little or no flavor of its own. The darker the sugar the higher chance
                                    Of flavor you have.. i use plain old white sugar as yeast only cares if its inverted not its source.

                                    Fair Winds from the Valley of Death
                                    Moriagh of Firefall

                                    On Dec 5, 2012 7:50 PM, "Gy. G. R. Dioguardi" <baronbish@...> wrote:

                                    Is there a way to ferment the liquid product of Sugar in the Raw. I want to know what the end result would turn out to be.

                                    Ciao,

                                    + Bish

                                    ===

                                  • sorchaprechan
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 6, 2012
                                      There's a modern arak (not to be confused with arrack or arag) that is anise-flavored, but historically speaking it was just fermented cane or date sugar.

                                      Sorcha