Re: [SCA_Brew] sandalwood mead

  • Joanie MacPhee
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
      When Sandalwood was used in cooking, it was much more plentiful than it is
      today.
      Many species of Sandalwood are extinct or endangered in many parts of the
      world.
      Just something to note. Joanie
    • PBLoomis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
        In a message dated 5/31/01 1:42:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
        rowengr@... writes:

        > Of course, you could just rack it off the residue - once the "sawdust"
        > has become saturated, it will probably sink.

        What if it becomes neutrally buoyant, and floats around below the
        surface indefinitely? Some woods do. I like shavings in a muslin or
        jersey bag. meself.
        Scotti
      • PBLoomis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
          In a message dated 5/31/01 9:00:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
          dijon01@... writes:

          > Clove is very potent. If you want to taste the clove as the main flavor,
          > add about 1/2 teaspoon to 5 gallons. If you want a light flavoring, I
          > suggest less than 1/8 teaspoon. This is assuming all ground glove and not
          > whole. This is from xperience. If you want a bolder flavor, by all means
          > add more.

          The last person I remember reporting on cloves said DON'T use ground
          cloves, because they won't precipitate out. I take it you have had better
          luck, or have found a workable method, to get the ground clove out.
          Scotti
        • Larry R. Sieting
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
            At 09:51 AM 6/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
            >In a message dated 5/31/01 9:00:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
            >dijon01@... writes:
            >
            > > Clove is very potent. If you want to taste the clove as the main flavor,
            > >
            > The last person I remember reporting on cloves said DON'T use ground
            >cloves, because they won't precipitate out. I take it you have had better
            >luck, or have found a workable method, to get the ground clove out.
            > Scotti

            I use clove with one of my fruit meads and havent noticed any abnormal
            residue. Over time, I get some precipitate in the bottom of my botttles,
            but I just decant it carefully when serving.

            I use Sparkaloid to clear my meads most of the time, although I have had
            some that I aged clear.

            Gilebert
          • Ilithiya
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2002
              Hi!

              Has anyone tried this since it was posted?
              If yes, how did it turn out, and did you use white/Santalum album or
              red/Pterocarpus santalinus?

              Much help would be appreciated...

              Ilithiya

              --- In sca_brew@y..., Steven Sanders <geigertube@y...> wrote:
              > Okay,
              >
              > Im reading "fabulous feasts' by Madeleine Cosman, and
              > she makes note of the fact that sandalwood was used as
              > a spice in medieval cooking.. that got me thinking..
              > what about a sandalwood mead? Id like to at least try
              > making a gallon batch of it and see how it goes.. Im
              > just wondering if anyone has a guess as to what
              > amounts would be a good starting point to go from..
              >
              > regards,
              >
              > steven sanders
            • Steven Sanders
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 15, 2002
                Not yet, sorry.. Its on my "list of things to do"
                thats way, way long. Someday, hopefully.. Sigh...

                steven

                --- Ilithiya <elven_lady@...> wrote:
                > Hi!
                >
                > Has anyone tried this since it was posted?
                > If yes, how did it turn out, and did you use
                > white/Santalum album or
                > red/Pterocarpus santalinus?
                >
                > Much help would be appreciated...
                >
                > Ilithiya
                >
                > --- In sca_brew@y..., Steven Sanders
                > <geigertube@y...> wrote:
                > > Okay,
                > >
                > > Im reading "fabulous feasts' by Madeleine Cosman,
                > and
                > > she makes note of the fact that sandalwood was
                > used as
                > > a spice in medieval cooking.. that got me
                > thinking..
                > > what about a sandalwood mead? Id like to at least
                > try
                > > making a gallon batch of it and see how it goes..
                > Im
                > > just wondering if anyone has a guess as to what
                > > amounts would be a good starting point to go
                > from..
                > >
                > > regards,
                > >
                > > steven sanders

                =====
                Two and two are merely four.
                Often less, but never more,
                And I, for all the worlds advance,
                An upright mammal, wearing pants.

                http://www.studiosputnik.com

                Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                http://news.yahoo.com
              • Ilithiya
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 16, 2002
                  I hope I'm not being too forward to offer a bit of help, but I found
                  out that neither Santalum album nor Pterocarpus santalinus are toxic.

                  The reason why I'm giving the scientific names is because there are a
                  few different other woods that are often sold as sandalwood.

                  Illy

                • PBLoomis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 16, 2002
                    In a message dated 9/16/02 2:25:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    elven_lady@... writes:

                    > I hope I'm not being too forward to offer a bit of help, but I found
                    > out that neither Santalum album nor Pterocarpus santalinus are toxic.
                    >
                    > The reason why I'm giving the scientific names is because there are a
                    > few different other woods that are often sold as sandalwood.

                    Great! Thanks!
                    Exactly what did you find out, and where?
                    8-)
                    Scotti
                    Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.
                  • Ilithiya
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 13, 2002
                      I am so sorry it took so long to reply - I had no time to check
                      messages since that last post of mine.

                      I ran a search for toxicity information on the search engines,
                      checked, re-checked, and cross-checked; simple as that.

                      I also believe that Santalum album is an Ayurvedic remedy, and
                      possibly Chinese as well.

                      Illy