Re: [SCA_Brew] Liqueurs, Schanpps, and Flavored Vodkas

  • Caley
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 1, 2011
      I use cheap vodka to make my liqueurs, and so far everyone loves them.

      My questions actaully pertained to making modern cocktails, not Period
      stuff, but the answers have been enlightening.

      Thanks!

      Caley
    • leaking pen
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 3, 2011
        That is most certainly illegal in the united states without a distillers permit. (Doesn't stop me, buuuut).  Any distillation that involves alcohol (including reclamation distillation, where you distill off the alcohol you used to extract something from something, thus ending with extract, and the alcohol you originally had) requires a license.

        Alexander

        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Jazi <jazilee@...> wrote:

        Caley -

        In the US i believe that there is a distinction between distillation of brandy and distillation of grain alcohol (moonshine) - because I know when ever I fly I look in those stupid "SKY MALL" catalogs and they've had "brandy distiller" things that are designed to supposedly take a mediocre couple of bottles of wine and turn it into a "superb bottle of brandy" (yeah right - if it's not good enough to drink as wine - it ain't good enough to make brandy OR too cook with! a bad beginning ain't gonna give you a better end product!) - so I would definitely double check the laws where you're located.

        Jazi