Re: Sweet Gruets & Roman Fortifed Wine

  • Lucia Piazetta
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2011
      Roman Vintning is one of my favorite research topics! I just took a
      big collection of my Roman wines to Gulf Wars for the A&S champions
      battle.

      There are some references to wine sweetened with honey in Pliny's
      writings, although he didn't give specific amounts. I found the
      honey reference in Natural History, book XIV, section vi, line 53,
      and another for honey and pepper (which is REALLY tasty) in the same
      text, book XIV, section xix, line 108.

      There is also a reference in Pliny to adding dates to wine, along
      with a bunch of other flavorings like myrrh, in book XIV, section
      xix, line 107. Columella in De Re Rustica (volume III, book XII)
      and Pliny's Natural History (volume IV, Book XIV) both have some
      references to sweetening wines with fresh unfermented grape must, but
      I don't have the pages handy. I highly recommend both Pliny and
      Columella if you are into Roman wines - they are both fantastic
      resources. Cato's book On Agriculture is a decent reference too,
      although it jumps around a lot. You can find some good references to
      salty wines in there, though, which are a lot of fun.

      -Lucia Piazetta, O.L.
      Barony of Bjornsborg
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • Caley
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
        > Roman Vintning is one of my favorite research topics! I just took a
        > big collection of my Roman wines to Gulf Wars for the A&S champions
        > battle.

        Snipped.

        I'll have to do some online research, then! I'm also going to get a bunch
        of cheap wine and start experimenting with different amounts of honey
        and/or fruits. Starting with dates.

        Thanks!

        Caley