Random recipe.

  • Kveldulf Lohipoika
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2010
      If you want to skip my rambling skip to the end, but I like to give some background for my random ideas.

      So this evening I went to the kitchen to find something to eat, what did I find? Nada, zip, zilch, well except for a box of chex, and a bunch of almonds. So I started munching on the Corn Chex, and the almonds while I looked to see if I had the stuff to make some bread, or biscuits, or something other than just chex. What I found (that applies to the end result) was Honey, Sugar, Brown Sugar, A huge (costco sized) thing of cinnamon, and a bunch of nutmeg.

      The stuff I was munching on already really just wasn't doing it for me so I figured I might as well make a syrup to go on it. So out came the stainless steel pot, and in went a cup of water. Once it was boiling I added three cups of brown sugar, one cup of white sugar, 4 lbs of honey, 3 tablespoons of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon.

      Now, being the impatient person that I am I started dipping my ladle in and drizzling it over the corn Chex, and even just sipping a bit from my ladle. It wasn't until there was just a little bit after I'd made my syrup that it occurred to me, that stuff tasted pretty damn good!

      Now, to understand I do use brown sugar in some of my brewing and (cold) distilling recipes so when you picture my pantry, forget about the little box, no... bigger than your thinking... yeah a bit bigger than that. I'm willing to be that respectively I probably have about 80lbs of brown sugar, and close to 50lbs of plain white sugar. as for honey, well I'm still working on my last 55 gallon drum, and I'm pretty sure it's at least halfway full still. As for my spices, measure in the pounds as well. Anyway, The point is I find myself looking at my (2) empty 18 gallon Demijohns and my (5) empty 7.5 carboys and my (1) 5 gallon Carboy. Now looking at all those and munching on my Chex mix I find myself wondering... what if I jacked up the water content to about 60% of the volume of the recipe?

      OK, FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT SKIPPED AHEAD RESUME READING HERE.

      So, here's my proposed Recipe, I want some feedback before I sink in the time and tie up my containers. I'm writing out the recipe for a 5 gallon because I know a few of the folks on here use them, but I'll probably be using at the very least one of my 18 gallon Demijohns or a few of my 7.5 gallon Carboys. I don't really like making small batches.

      for a 5 gallon Carboy, I'm thinking I'll end up using:

      12 lbs of brown Sugar
      6 lbs of White sugar
      12 lbs of Arizona Wild Flower Honey (what I have on hand)
      2 cups of Cinnamon
      1.5 cups of Nutmeg
      an extract from 4-8lbs of Almonds (not the most experienced working with nuts.)
      And I'll top it all off with 3-3.5 gallons of water.

      So, any thoughts?
    • Ninacide
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2010
        whole cinnamon in a steeping bag.  White sugar gives off strange flavors eventually.  why not boil the white sugar into it into a simple syrup or substitute pure fructose powder?

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2010
          Thanks, I'll go with the Syrup.

          --- In sca_brew@yahoogroups.com, Ninacide <NINacide@...> wrote:

          > whole cinnamon in a steeping bag. White sugar gives off strange flavors eventually. why not boil the white sugar into it into a simple syrup or substitute pure fructose powder?

        • Ninacide
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2010
            By the way, great name.  It reminds me that I still haven't finished reading Egil's Saga.

            > whole cinnamon in a steeping bag. White sugar gives off strange flavors eventually. why not boil the white sugar into it into a simple syrup or substitute pure fructose powder?

          • Thomas Medlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2010
              I have found that the cinnamon flavor grows over time and can become overpowering.  Try less cinnamon.    Thomas

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2010
                Agreed. I put 2 whole sticks in a 6-gallon batch of spiced apfelwine I made last year. It's lovely, but the cinnamon flavor is much stronger than I intended, and is stronger now than when I initially bottled it.

                Peace!
                William Brewer

                On Dec 16, 2010 12:53am, Thomas Medlin <goldcelt1@...> wrote:

                > I have found that the cinnamon flavor grows over time and can become overpowering.  Try less cinnamon.    Thomas

              • Kveldulf Lohipoika
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 17, 2010
                  Thanks for the input on the Cinnamon, I'm aim for a much lower ammount. I now that while cooking it was a pretty high amount, but yes the flavor would mature and strengthen so yes I'll cut the amount down. Thanks for the tip.