Watery mead...?

  • Kveldulf Lohipoika
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
      I just got done bottling a batch of mead, there wasn't enough left at the bottom to fill my last bottle so I decided to go ahead and pour it into a glass to drink. It tasted watery... I don't understand how this could be the case as I tasted it right off the top and it was potent and sweet as could be... Any thoughts?
    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
        differing densities layering?  although, the sweet stuff should be at bottom.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
          wait , if you were bottling with a wand, it draws from the bottom first, so whats left WOULD be the top.  heh.

          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
          differing densities layering?  although, the sweet stuff should be at bottom.

          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Kveldulf Lohipoika <kveldulf_lohipoika@...> wrote:

          I just got done bottling a batch of mead, there wasn't enough left at the bottom to fill my last bottle so I decided to go ahead and pour it into a glass to drink. It tasted watery... I don't understand how this could be the case as I tasted it right off the top and it was potent and sweet as could be... Any thoughts?

        • Mark Lavette

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
              but sugar water is heavier, and the statement was made that the last bit was LESS sweet and thick tasting, not less alcoholic.

              On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Mark Lavette <wsklywbit@...> wrote:

              Alc is lighter than water

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
                Alcohol is lighter than water.  The sugars and alcohol should be uniform in solution in your mead unless it was somehow super saturated with sugar and the rest would have settled to the bottom.  If your mead is watery tasting there are a couple of things you should look at.  Did you take any gravity readings?  Also did you use any other sugars in the mead other than honey, like corn sugar or table sugar?  Also did you boil the must?
                Titus

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Is there any chance you had just rinsed that glass out, and had more water left in it than you thought?

                  Sorcha Crowe