Viking beer recipe anyone ?

  • ludwig
    Message 1 of 67 , Feb 8, 2010
      Hello all,

      I was just ask by a friend if I could brew a 'Viking Beer' (and
      specifically not Mead)

      I was wondering if anyone has suggestion or pointer to a name or recipe
      in period about that.
      I could 'just do a beer' base on what I know, but I am looking for
      something more specific, or even 'Cliché'.

      So far, I know (and have brew) Sahti, but it is mostly 'finish' and I
      would have to debate that is was 'Viking' at the time.

      Thank for any pointer.

      Ludwig
    • sorchaprechan
      Message 67 of 67 , Feb 11, 2010
        Do you think he means modern baker's yeast? Both baking and brewing yeasts have undergone such tremendous transformations in the lab in the last hundred and fifty years or so, I get really cautious when anyone talks about using baking yeast to brew.

        To the best of my knowledge, oak barrels do date to about 600 AD and were Frankish in origin, so Vikings could certainly have had them.

        Anyone got better or more specific information?

        Sorcha