Pennsic IKBG competition

  • baccus_kaloethes
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2008
      Any word on how this went?

      Baccus
    • Barat
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2008
        BTW: The IKBG jugging at Pensic, Gulf Wars and other events are not
        competitions. Each entry is judged on it's own merits - no winner is
        declared. The IKBG web site needs to be updated to remove the word
        "competition".
        ________________________

        H.L. Barat FitzWalter Reynolds
        Master Wine/Mead Maker, IKBG
        M.K.A. Stephen Pursley
        Barony of Namron
        Kingdom of Ansteorra

        On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:52 PM, baccus_kaloethes wrote:

        > Any word on how this went?
        >
        > Baccus

      • Tadhg
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
          Greetings,

          I can take it up with the rest of the IKBG Masters; however, standing within the Guild is determined by these scores over time.

          Now, according to American Heritage, "competition" is defined as
          1. The act of competing, as for profit or a prize; rivalry.
          2. A test of skill or ability; a contest: a skating competition
          The results of the IKBG competition should be posted on the IKBG website in the next few weeks after Pennsic...which I unfortunately had to miss.

          Regards,
          H.L. Tadhg macAedain uiConchobhair
          Master Vintner, IKBG
          Master Brewer, IKBG
          Master Cordialmaker, IKBG
          ...brick by brick

          ____________ _________ ___

        • reddoyle@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
             But the problem is that most people believe that because they see competition that they are competing against the other brewers and that winners will be announced.

            Karl Haraldsson
            Atlantian Royal Brewer

            Barat <barat@...> wrote:
            BTW: The IKBG jugging at Pensic, Gulf Wars and other events are not
            competitions. Each entry is judged on it's own merits - no winner is
            declared. The IKBG web site needs to be updated to remove the word
            "competition" .
            ____________ _________ ___

            H.L. Barat FitzWalter Reynolds
            Master Wine/Mead Maker, IKBG
            M.K.A. Stephen Pursley
            Barony of Namron
            Kingdom of Ansteorra

            On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:52 PM, baccus_kaloethes wrote:

            > Any word on how this went?
            >
            > Baccus

          • Tadhg
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
              The problem is not in the correct usage of "competition". The problem is in the misconception that a competition must have only one winner.

              Unlike being a Kingdom Notable, such as yourself, where only one person can serve at a time, there can be many brewers who have attained the status of Master. Though based in competition against a standard, the rank of Master Brewer is still one among many.

              The IKBG competitions are to identify those gentles who have demonstrated a long-term proficiency in a given area of the brewing arts and to recognize them within the brewing community across the Known Worlde.

              It is not perfect but it has worked for years.

              Regards,
              Tadhg macAedain uiConchobhair
              past Atlantian Royal Brewer

              Barat <barat@...> wrote:
              BTW: The IKBG jugging at Pensic, Gulf Wars and other events are not
              competitions. Each entry is judged on it's own merits - no winner is
              declared. The IKBG web site needs to be updated to remove the word
              "competition" .
              ____________ _________ ___

              H.L. Barat FitzWalter Reynolds
              Master Wine/Mead Maker, IKBG
              M.K.A. Stephen Pursley
              Barony of Namron
              Kingdom of Ansteorra

              On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:52 PM, baccus_kaloethes wrote:

              > Any word on how this went?
              >
              > Baccus

              Regards,
              Tadhg