Re: [SCA_Brew] Atenveldt brewing

  • PBLoomis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
      In a message dated 2/28/01 5:40:47 PM Central Standard Time,
      twombly_marty@... writes:

      > but you seem to forget that brewers do make reports. specific grav. % by
      > vol. hey guys see what i cooked up.
      > there you have a brewers report...

      I'll buy, "Hey guys, taste what I cooked up." The difference is small
      but significant. As for SG and %ABV, I couldn't care less. I don't drink to
      buzz,
      and I don't think most of you do either.
      Scotti
    • Nathan Moore
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
        SG and ABV mean a lot more to us as brewers than just
        hown many ounces we need to get nice and drunk,
        understanding gravities and alcohol in a beer helps us
        to better develop recipes, repeat recipes, and
        understand how our ingredients add up to develop a
        beer we like. Also, in repeating a recipe a friend
        brewed, knowing their Original Gravity and Final
        Gravity or ABV will help us adapt the recipe to our
        own brewing systems.

        And by the way, I have no shame in the fact that I
        like a good buzz on occaion ;^)

        Nathi

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • dinamark@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
          Hello,
          Besides which, if you don't want a buzz you would be even more concerned about the SG & ABV. Especially if giving a brew to someone with a low tolerance for alcohol. Many home brews, due to their body, etc., don't taste as strong as they are to some people.

          Logan

          sca_brew@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > SG and ABV mean a lot more to us as brewers than just
          > hown many ounces we need to get nice and drunk,
          > understanding gravities and alcohol in a beer helps us
          > to better develop recipes, repeat recipes, and
          > understand how our ingredients add up to develop a
          > beer we like.  Also, in repeating a recipe a friend
          > brewed, knowing their Original Gravity and Final
          > Gravity or ABV will help us adapt the recipe to our
          > own brewing systems.
          >
          > And by the way, I have no shame in the fact that I
          > like a good buzz on occaion ;^)
          >
          > Nathi
          >
          > --- PBLoomis@... wrote:
          > > In a message dated 2/28/01 5:40:47 PM Central
          > > Standard Time,
          > > twombly_marty@... writes:
          > >
          > > > but you seem to forget that brewers do make
          > > reports. specific grav. % by
          > > >  vol.  hey guys see what i cooked up.
          > > >  there you have a brewers report...
          > > >
          > >     I'll buy, "Hey guys, taste what I cooked up."
          > > The difference is small
          > > but significant.  As for SG and %ABV, I couldn't
          > > care less.  I don't drink to
          > > buzz,
          > > and I don't think most of you do either.
          > >     Scotti

          > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

        • Mark Worden
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
            If Scotti doesn't drink to get buzzed, then why the h___ does he make beer?
            He'd make a great designated driver I guess. As far as SG & ABV go, those
            readings will tell you, after doing some math of course, how strong or weak
            your beer is. Any decent brewer wants to have this info for batches to be
            brewed in the future.

            --- PBLoomis@... wrote:
            > Standard Time,
            > twombly_marty@... writes:
            >
            > > but you seem to forget that brewers do make
            > reports. specific grav. % by
            > > vol. hey guys see what i cooked up.
            > > there you have a brewers report...
            > >
            > I'll buy, "Hey guys, taste what I cooked up."
            > The difference is small
            > but significant. As for SG and %ABV, I couldn't
            > care less. I don't drink to
            > buzz,
            > and I don't think most of you do either.
            > Scotti

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

            Visit the SCA_Brew web site at http://sca_brew.homestead.com
            Go to http://www.onelist.com/surveycenter/sca_brew to fill out the list
            member survey

          • Bob Davis
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
              dinamark@... wrote:

              > Hello,
              > Besides which, if you don't want a buzz you would be even more concerned about the SG & ABV. Especially if giving a brew to someone with a low tolerance for alcohol. Many home brews, due to their body, etc., don't taste as strong as they are to some people.

              Speaking as a Beer Geek [tm] and brewer, that comment is right up my
              alley. Drinkability is a wonderful thing, but I don't want to pound
              someone's beer only to find out after the third pint that it's a Tripel
              and wonder why the room's spinning.

              Pax,

              -Robert fitz Thomas
            • PBLoomis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2001
                In a message dated 3/1/01 9:30:35 AM Central Standard Time, mworden@...
                writes:

                > If Scotti doesn't drink to get buzzed, then why the h___ does he make beer?

                Read my taste buds. What I said was, "Hey guys, taste what I cooked up."
                I like the flavor of beer. I love the smell of hops. If I could get
                *exactly* the
                same flavor with no alcohol (and its concomitant empty calories), I'd be
                perfectly happy. However, my experience has been that the alcohol is part
                of the total flavor profile of beer, so I kick back and enjoy.
                That's also why I brew. The vast majority of American beers are, as
                our Canadian neighbors say, like making love in a canoe. I can buy Grolsch,
                Bass, SamAdams Cream Stout, Guinness canned and Guinness bottled commercially
                here. That's not enough variety. OTOH, I can buy hard cider
                better than the best I've ever made in over forty years of trying. So I brew
                beer, and buy cider.
                Scotti
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
              • olsoncatko@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2001
                  In a message dated 03/02/2001 3:28:00 AM Central Standard Time,
                  PBLoomis@... writes:

                  Read my taste buds.  What I said was, "Hey guys, taste what I cooked up."
                  I like the flavor of beer.  I love the smell of hops.  If I could get
                  *exactly* the
                  same flavor with no alcohol (and its concomitant empty calories), I'd be
                  perfectly happy.  However, my experience has been that the alcohol is part
                  of the total flavor profile of beer, so I kick back and enjoy.

                  Makes prefect sense to me.  'Tho'  you want to make it wine and mead in my
                  case.
                  Karen/Caitriona