Re: [SCA_Brew] Brewing with herbs

  • Steven Sanders
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2007
      On 8/29/07, Bill Velek <billvelek@...> wrote:

      snip

      Thanks, Steven, for the advice. Re the stinging nettles, do they look
      like this - http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/nettles.JPG ?? That pic
      was NOT taken at my house, but it looks just like the horrible weed that
      grows wild in my garden (introduced by some fresh manure from a farm).
      If so, I have PLENTY of that.

      Heh, yeah thats the stuff. :)  I keep them in the far corner of the yard.

      I don't have dandilions, and don't intend to introduce them to my lawn,
      so I'll have to focus on other herbs. Still, I can't imagine how long
      it would take to pick a gallon of dandelion heads. That's dedication.

      Oh,right.. I dont cultivate them either.. I usually gather them in public parks, that tend to be full of them during the spring flushes. They dont spray the parks around here.  And it takes about an hour go fill up a gallon ziploc bag, if you're working a good dense spot, so its not as bad as it sounds.

      best,

      steven

      --
      My Moon-based death ray
      Panics the people of earth

      http://www.studiosputnik.com

      See my newest comic at:

      http://www.gocomics.com/thunderroad/
    • Steven Sanders
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2007
        Good to know, thanks!

        On 8/30/07, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:

        toast your rosemary very lightly in the oven, set it to 300 degrees, put it in in a metal pan, stir around after 2 mintues, and again another two.  when its just past sharp and hard and starting to turn color, your done.  otherwise it can taste a bit piney.

        On 8/26/07, Steven Sanders < stevensanders@...> wrote:

        I'm not sure if you can grow them indoors or not, but with artificial lighting, I dont see why not, but stinging nettle makes an excellent ale. (I've had good results mixing a 2 gallon bag of ~1' spring tops with a german blonde recipe. Boil them with the hops for one hr.)  A very rich and unique taste.  Also, dandilion works well with a bohemian pilsner kit. 1 Gallon of heads, no need to remove the green, but no stem, added to boil at 1/2 hr mark.   I can give you info about the specific kits that I used if you are interested. I dont enter into contests ( less for me to drink, and I'll start getting all type A about it if I start competing) but I've gotten good feedback from party guests with requests for more, for whatever thats worth.   Coriander is fun too, I made a braggot where I just added a gallon of wildflower honey to a random Belgian wit recipe, with champaign yeast. Ended up kind of like a single malt mead, if that makes any sense. Took a while to smooth out, though.

        Ah,  sage and blackberry makes a good combination if you like dry meads, and Im going to try a rosemary peach sparkling dry mead soon.. ( a cook friend said rosemary went well with peaches in pie.. so we'll see. )

        For a good, pretty comprehensive book on herbs besides hops to use in brewing (while its not super accurate regarding the history, or so I've been told)  Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" is a good resource and idea bank.

        best,

        steven

        On 8/25/07, Bill Velek <billvelek@...> wrote:

        First, I'm interested in which herbs seem to be the most popular or
        useful for brewing, even if you are not growing them yourself. For some
        reason I have never made a Belgium in the past -- that's what I'm
        planning for my next brew probably next weekend -- and corriander (the
        seed from cilantro) has been recommended by another brewer as a good
        choice to grow to use for those.

        Second, I'm particularly interested in any brewing herbs that can be
        grown in pots indoors so that ... 1.) I can get started without having
        to wait until next year, and ... 2.) most likely be able to grow just
        one or two plants without having to put up with weeding and pests, etc.
        So any recommendations along those lines will be appreciated, too.

        Finally, I have expanded the scope of my Grow-Hops group to now include
        herbs and grains, but there are not very many posts on those subjects
        yet, and apparently not too many members there who are doing that yet.
        But the amount of expertise and experience with hops among our 315
        members should make Grow-Hops the premier forum for information on that
        topic, and I hope to do the same regarding herbs and grains. So if you
        are involved in gardening for your brewing, please help us out, and any
        recommendations that you might have will be greatly appreciated. If
        interested, please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops

        Thanks, and 'good brewing' to all.

        Bill Velek

        --
        My Moon-based death ray
        Panics the people of earth
        Mock my theories now!

        http://www.studiosputnik.com

        See my newest comic at:

        http://www.gocomics.com/thunderroad/

        --
        That which yields isn't always weak.

        --
        My Moon-based death ray
        Panics the people of earth
        Mock my theories now!

        http://www.studiosputnik.com

        See my newest comic at:

        http://www.gocomics.com/thunderroad/
      • Bill Velek
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
          leaking pen wrote:

          > toast your rosemary very lightly in the oven, set it to 300 degrees, put
          > it in in a metal pan, stir around after 2 mintues, and again another
          > two. when its just past sharp and hard and starting to turn color, your
          > done. otherwise it can taste a bit piney.

          Are you speaking about drying out freshly grown rosemary? Should
          store-bought rosemary, which is already dry, be toasted before using it
          in a brew?

          Thanks.

          Bill Velek
        • Ceara ni Neill
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
            War of the Wings II : Brewers' Conference
            hosted by House Barra

            Conveniently scheduled after fighting & before court! Sit back and
            relax at the House Barra pavilion as you share your homebrews with fellow
            brewers. There will be limited seating, so please bring something to sit
            on. Water will be provided.

            Participants must be at least 21 years of age & have brought an entry
            consisting of cordials/liqueurs, meads, wines or beers.
            Share your brews, your resources, documentation, and ideas; discuss
            methods, exchange constructive criticism and suggestions, and learn from
            your fellow brewers! Beverages will be displayed, tasted, discussed, and
            assessed by all participants. Documentation is encouraged but not
            required.

            Brewers love their fans, to be sure; but please be courteous: if you
            plan to come taste, you must also bring an entry. All skill levels are
            welcome, beginners & veterans. See you there!

            --
            ===Ceara ni Neill
            http://HouseBarra.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
              Could you post some more details? What Kindgom would be a good start..... Just kidding. Do you have a link to the event web site?

              On 9/2/07, Ceara ni Neill <ceara@...> wrote:

[...]

              Ld. Earik MacSkellie
              Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly
              Marshal, Incipient Shire of Foxvale

              http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/michael.labny%40gmail.com/public/basic
              http://earikmacskellie.blogspot.com/
            • Ceara ni Neill
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2007
                I'm sorry, I thought the link was in there. Here ya go:
                http://www.warofthewings.com/
                Kingdom of Atlantia, Barony of Sacred Stone, aka Booneville, NC about 20
                minutes north of Statesville.

                --Ceara