Re: [SCA_Brew] stuck mead.

  • olsoncatko@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2001
      > what about litmus papers - they come in ranges -
      what is the ph range to be starting the ferment?

      ph is somewhere around 4.0-4.5, by the way what is the ph range for mead?
      I'm sure it varies with the honey type but a ballpark figure would be nice
      for the future.

      Are you *really* sure the temperature is right for this yeast? Maybe you can
      get on of those sticks-on-the-side-of-the-fermenter thermometers?

      Yep, one of the things i always check is the manufactures info on it.  And my
      temp. both in the room and of the must.

      I add additional nutriets and
      energizers, give the brew some vigotous shaking/ stirring to add some
      oxygen, and pitch the yeast again.

      Tried that with a new packet of yeast.  Yeast was the same type as the 2 I
      orginally added in.  My final try today with a different type may have done
      it.  I suppose the other type just couldn't handle the enviroment for the
      mead. I also racked into a different container maybe the extra onygen got it
      going.  I have no idea and wish that I did.   Pity about that strain of
      yeast, half the fun was trying out different yeast strains, plus a new idea
      for a mead.

      Anyway thanks for all the ideas and advice, I'm sure it will come in handy to
      more than me.

      Caitriona
    • thomas davidson
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2001
        Fellow Brewers

        I recently did up a batch of mead in my apartment and had the same
        problem. The odd thing was that I brewed up two 3 gallon batches at the
        same time using all the same ingrediants, yeasts, and nutrients. The only
        difference was that I gave one carboy to a friend of mine to keep, and he
        had to drive it home. He straped it into the front seat of his car for a
        two mile drive, of course resulting in quite a bit of unwanted air mixing
        into his mead. His mead started to ferment the next day and is progressing
        niceley, while mine sat for almost a two weeks with no bubbles in my air
        lock at all. My solution was to add some more nutrients and mix slightly
        adding some air into it. This started up the process and it seems to be
        progressing at the right speed (damn slow but perceptable) now.
        I know that mixing the mead by taking it for a drive in the country is
        hardly period, but it did work.

        Yours in Service

        Jack the Black

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2001
          healthy yeast in ANY brew need quite a bit of O2 to start. the first
          stage the yeast goes through when you pitch it is to suck up all that O2 so
          it can use it later to build cell walls. ie the more O2 you introduce, the
          more healthy reproduction can go on.
          Once the O2 is all taken up, the yeast move on to the next stage of
          their life which eats the sugars and produces alcahol. FROM THIS POINT ON
          O2 IS BAD.
          In short, before you pitch your yeast, aerate a lot. I use a fish tank
          air pump and a steel air stone. The yeast love it!
          Rupert the Unbalanced