Lord Edward is a newbe....hello Lords and Ladies

  • edward hastings
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2000
      hello i,m new to brewing i,m more of a mixer but i,m looking toward
      brewing also .i,m know as Lord Edward of Hastings and i live in the
      kingdom of antir in the township of puyallup ,wa.
      like i said i,m a mixer now i pick and juice berrys and fruits and
      mix them with spirts of different kinds. and most times it works very
      well, i have made a few boobos along the way. but i would like to
      learn how to make from scrach.
      thank you
    • Lord Donal O'Brien
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2000
        Unto Lord Edward of Hastings and the rest of the list
        is sent greetins from Tiarna Donal O'Brien of the
        Kingdom of Caid!

        My lord, you have already started upon a grand journey
        by learning to mix the fruits of the earth with the
        spirit of wine. Many people call these creations
        cordials or liqueurs. Cordials are very easy to make
        and very appreciated by those who taste them. I have
        a number of recipes to share if you would have them.

        Have you tried your hand at vinting a mead or wine or
        brewing a beer or ale?

        Donal

        --- edward hastings <meadowsweet@...> wrote:
        > hello i,m new to brewing i,m more of a mixer but i,m
        > looking toward brewing also .i,m know as Lord Edward
        > of Hastings and i live in the kingdom of antir in
        > the township of puyallup ,wa.
        > like i said i,m a mixer now i pick and juice berrys
        > and fruits and mix them with spirts of different
        > kinds. and most times it works very well, i have
        > made a few boobos along the way. but i would like to

        > learn how to make from scrach.
        > thank you

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Randall Speck
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2000
          Greetings Lord Edward,
          I am Lord Randal Oakwood of Eastwood, from the Kingdom of Meridies, Shire
          Loch Carin.
          I've been venting for two years now, and have a minor problem with alcohol
          content. ( as in it will knock you on your back side ). Some problem EH.
          With higher content comes a sulfur after taste.
          I've got two 5 gallon vats of Mead currently working, one is Apple Cinnamon,
          the other Cherry Cinnamon.
          The recipe is fairly easy, but the results are as yet uncertain. I'll keep
          you updated if you are interested.
          Randal
          hello i,m new to brewing i,m more of a mixer but i,m looking toward
          brewing also .i,m know as Lord Edward of Hastings and i live in the
          kingdom of antir in the township of puyallup ,wa.
          like i said i,m a mixer now i pick and juice berrys and fruits and
          mix them with spirts of different kinds. and most times it works very
          well, i have made a few boobos along the way. but i would like to
          learn how to make from scrach.
          thank you

          eGroups Sponsor
          <http://click.egroups.com/1/9630/14/_/552944/_/972897009/>

          <http://adimg.egroups.com/img/9630/14/_/552944/_/972897009/target(apparel)46
          8x60.gif>

          Visit the SCA_Brew web site at http://sca_brew.homestead.com
          <http://sca_brew.homestead.com>
          Go to http://www.onelist.com/surveycenter/sca_brew
          <http://www.onelist.com/surveycenter/sca_brew> to fill out the list member
          survey
        • NATHAN T Moore
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2000
            Greetings to the list,

            Boy has it been quite....

            Their are 3 soluitons I can think of for high alcohol. 1) use a lower tolerance yeast, what yeast are you using, champaing will result in the highest alcohol, than wine, than beer...as a general rule. 2) Add less fermentables, the less sugars from fruit, honey, sugar, malt etc, the lower the alcohol. Of course for wines and meads, this would also mean a dryer beverage. 3) stop the ferment early on purpose using sulfites. I would never do this so if you want advice, ask someone else.

            As far as the sulfur flavor, this may be more for the yeast than the alcohol level. The yeasts will casue sulfur flavors that take some time to age out, in general the bigger the bevergae, the longer this will take. So maybe you just need to age you beverages longer. Or you can try a different yeast that produces less sulfur character. Another thing that could cause the sulfur is stressing out your yeast by fermenting at to high a temp or without enough nutrients or big enough of a starter.

            Hope this all helps.

            Lord Nathi

            >>> psemke@... 10/30/00 04:08PM >>>
[...]

            Go to http://www.onelist.com/surveycenter/sca_brew to fill out the list member survey
          • Randall Speck
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2000
              Thanks for your assistance.
              I have been double doseing the yeast.
              I've got a problem now. I've got 5 gallons of Cuyahoga Grape venting with
              an overdose of sugar "20lbs", and enough Sherry Yeast to make 10 gallons.
              OOOPPPPS. No wonder it has a twang, looks like I'll have to let it age 10 ~
              20 yrs.

              Thanks again,
              Randal Oakwood

              <
[...]

              <http://click.egroups.com/1/9648/14/_/552944/_/972950645/>

              <http://adimg.egroups.com/img/9648/14/_/552944/_/972950645/TargetSoftware468
              x602F.gif>

            • meadowsweet@msn.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2000
                Lord Edward........lol i guess humm.......maybe you can spread it on
                toast that should get you going in the morning lol...........do you
                have any more grape juice if it has,nt been to long since the mix
                maybe you can balance it out alittle......as yet i dont use yeast but
                i do use raw honey to sweeten the berry juice or friut juice, then i
                mix in my wines or 80% alcohol to taste.........note i make a aprocot
                necture........i use only 100% aprocot juice and vodka 100proof its a
                bit strong for me as i like to know what i,m doing when i drink and
                who,s tent i wake up in lol.......but what surprizes me is that the
                ladies love it. i,m not sure why ?????????? may have something to do
                with the aprocots, i think i remember reading about females &
                aprocots but here it is .......... its a 2:1 mix 2parts vodka
                to 1 parts aprocot juice sweeten to taste with raw honey . age in
                glass for about a month......i only have glass but wood might work
                shake about once a week.........when you serve it exspect the ladies
                to drink it all......i put it in fifth bottles and it does go fast
                they have loved it so far.......thank you.......Edward

                - In sca_brew@egroups.com, Randall Speck <psemke@c...> wrote:
                > Thanks for your assistance.
                > I have been double doseing the yeast.
                > I've got a problem now. I've got 5 gallons of Cuyahoga Grape
                venting with
                > an overdose of sugar "20lbs", and enough Sherry Yeast to make 10
                gallons.
                > OOOPPPPS. No wonder it has a twang, looks like I'll have to let it
                age 10 ~
                > 20 yrs.
                >
                > Thanks again,
                > Randal Oakwood
                Ladies

                > Greetings to the list,
                >
                > Boy has it been quite....

                > Their are 3 soluitons I can think of for high alcohol. 1) use a
                lower
                > tolerance yeast, what yeast are you using, champaing will result in
                the
                > highest alcohol, than wine, than beer...as a general rule. 2) Add
                less
                > fermentables, the less sugars from fruit, honey, sugar, malt etc,
                the lower
                > the alcohol. Of course for wines and meads, this would also mean a
                dryer
                > beverage. 3) stop the ferment early on purpose using sulfites. I
                would
                > never do this so if you want advice, ask someone else.
                >
                > As far as the sulfur flavor, this may be more for the yeast than
                the alcohol
                > level. The yeasts will casue sulfur flavors that take some time to
                age out,
                > in general the bigger the bevergae, the longer this will take. So
                maybe you
                > just need to age you beverages longer. Or you can try a different
                yeast
                > that produces less sulfur character. Another thing that could
                cause the
                > sulfur is stressing out your yeast by fermenting at to high a temp
                or
                > without enough nutrients or big enough of a starter.
                >
                > Hope this all helps.
                >
                > Lord Nathi

                > Greetings Lord Edward,
                > I am Lord Randal Oakwood of Eastwood, from the Kingdom of Meridies,
                Shire
                > Loch Carin.
                > I've been venting for two years now, and have a minor problem with
                alcohol
                > content. ( as in it will knock you on your back side ). Some
                problem EH.
                > With higher content comes a sulfur after taste.
                > I've got two 5 gallon vats of Mead currently working, one is Apple
                Cinnamon,
                > the other Cherry Cinnamon.
                > The recipe is fairly easy, but the results are as yet uncertain.
                I'll keep
                > you updated if you are interested.
                > Randal

              • NATHAN T Moore
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2000
                  It is almost imposible to add to much yeast, so doubling the amount of yeast was not a bad thing, especialy with that much sugar the extra yeast may be a benifit in assisting in completing the ferment. As a general rule the more fermentables in a batch, the bigger of a yeast starter you want.

                  However, assuming you used undiluted grape juice, 20 lbs of sugar is going to be a lot. Your yeast will ferment out the sugar until it has reached 12% alcohol or so, depending on the tolerance of that specific yeast, and than stop. At that point you will still likley have a lot of sugar left and a very sweet beverage. You may like it, however, if you do not, here is an option. Dilute the finished wine, than, because you have now diluted the grape juice which is what was providing the flavor, add some new flavoring that is low in sugar, and therefore will not just increas the sweetness again, the first thing that comes to mind is Raspberries, but there are a tun of options. At this point, not only have you reduced the sugar, but you have also reduced the alcohol content, meaning that the yeast will be free to ferment more sugar again untill it has once again maxed out. So, you will have to let it ferment again, and you may want to add a new packet of yeast or two since the old yeast will be pretty stressed out at this point. Of course, if it tastes good, dont bother. Of the top of my head, diluting to 7.5 gallons may be a good first shot.

                  Nathi

                  >>> psemke@... 10/30/00 05:45PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2000
                    I'll try that, thank you.
                    Currently I'm continuing to do transfers about every 2 ~ 3 weeks. I can
                    tell it is still working a little, but barely. Not many bubbles anymore.
                    (Thought I killed it.) It is now 45+ days old, and I am somewhat afraid to
                    bother it anymore. How do you determine if it has turned to vinegar? What
                    is the smell or taste?
                    Randal

[...]

                    <http://click.egroups.com/1/9659/14/_/552944/_/973003864/>

                    <http://adimg.egroups.com/img/9659/14/_/552944/_/973003864/WarningGifts468x6
                    02E.gif>

                    Visit the SCA_Brew web site at http://sca_brew.homestead.com
                    <http://sca_brew.homestead.com>
                    Go to http://www.onelist.com/surveycenter/sca_brew
                    <http://www.onelist.com/surveycenter/sca_brew> to fill out the list member
                    survey
                  • steve
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2000
                      Randall Speck wrote:

                      > I'll try that, thank you.
                      > Currently I'm continuing to do transfers about every 2 ~ 3 weeks. I can
                      > tell it is still working a little, but barely. Not many bubbles anymore.
                      > (Thought I killed it.) It is now 45+ days old, and I am somewhat afraid to
                      > bother it anymore. How do you determine if it has turned to vinegar? What
                      > is the smell or taste?
                      > Randal

                      I am called Kajawara no Tora Yoshimitsu of Kyoto, a/k/a Kyoto of the Midrelm:

                      I have been vinting for too long.. over 25 years. When I rack my brews I use a hose
                      filled with water from my Modern R.O. filter, I let this fall into a glass when it get to
                      the Must , I move to a new glass, then I move the hose into the carboy I have, for the
                      racking. I taste even new wines, and flat beers, how else shall I know what my creation
                      is doing? I did a Kolch Ale a few years back, I did the freezing temp fermentation, ( ie
                      at 33F to 34F ) after 1 year it tasted sour, so I dumped it, why bother, its
                      contaminated. I started a new one :) I have learned to tell what is a good / bad /
                      excellent batch this way long before I age it.
                      and it wont hurt you it IS natural fresh, and so what of your beer isn't carbonated yet,
                      ot the wine isn't aged, We are Vintners! we must be intimate with our products. if we
                      ferment with out love, we may as well just drink canned beer :)
                      Steve/Kyoto
                    • Randall Speck
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                        Thanks For the assistance.
                        Randal Oakwood
                        > Currently I'm continuing to do transfers about every 2 ~ 3 weeks. I can
                        > tell it is still working a little, but barely. Not many bubbles anymore.
                        > (Thought I killed it.) It is now 45+ days old, and I am somewhat afraid
                        > bother it anymore. How do you determine if it has turned to vinegar?
                        What
                        > is the smell or taste?
                        > Randal

                        I am called Kajawara no Tora Yoshimitsu of Kyoto, a/k/a Kyoto of the
                        Midrelm:

                        I have been vinting for too long.. over 25 years. When I rack my brews
                        I use a hose
                        filled with water from my Modern R.O. filter, I let this fall into a glass
                        when it get to
                        the Must , I move to a new glass, then I move the hose into the carboy I
                        have, for the
                        racking. I taste even new wines, and flat beers, how else shall I know what
                        my creation
                        is doing? I did a Kolch Ale a few years back, I did the freezing temp
                        fermentation, ( ie
                        at 33F to 34F ) after 1 year it tasted sour, so I dumped it, why bother,
                        its
                        contaminated. I started a new one :) I have learned to tell what is a good /
                        bad /
                        excellent batch this way long before I age it.
                        and it wont hurt you it IS natural fresh, and so what of your beer isn't
                        carbonated yet,
                        ot the wine isn't aged, We are Vintners! we must be intimate with our
                        products. if we
                        ferment with out love, we may as well just drink canned beer :)
                        Steve/Kyoto

                        eGroups Sponsor
                        <http://click.egroups.com/1/9651/14/_/552944/_/973033925/>

                        <http://adimg.egroups.com/img/9651/14/_/552944/_/973033925/WarningBooks468x6
                        02E.gif>

                      • scabrewer@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                          On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:08:14 -0500 Randall Speck <psemke@...>
                          writes:
                          > I've been venting for two years now, and have a minor problem with
                          > alcohol content. ( as in it will knock you on your back side ). Some
                          > problem EH.

                          Indeed! I know some who *wish* they had your problem. ;-) If you
                          really consider it a problem, there's probably someone here who can help.

                          > With higher content comes a sulfur after taste.

                          That flavor is probably not linked at all to your higher ABV. There are
                          a multiplicity of causes; would you mind running down your process? Do
                          you use sulfites for sanitization?

                          Pax,

                          -Robert fitz Thomas, Shire of Eisental, East.

                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                          Robert Davis: Brewer, Historian
                          Dolor est fugax. Gloria perennis. Puellae
                          cicatricibus gaudent.

                          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                        • scabrewer@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                            On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:50:50 -0700 "NATHAN T Moore"
                            <NTMOORE@...> writes:
                            > It is almost imposible to add to much yeast, so doubling the amount
                            > of yeast was not a bad thing, especialy with that much sugar the
                            > extra yeast may be a benifit in assisting in completing the ferment.
                            > As a general rule the more fermentables in a batch, the bigger of a
                            > yeast starter you want.

                            True. It *is*, however, entirely possible to add too much yeast,
                            especially in worts and musts with lower gravities. These beverages can
                            develop severe "yeast-bite" if one is careless with one's pitching rate.

                            10 (to the 6th power) live cells per milliliter of starter is sufficient
                            for every fifty points of OG (based on personal experience). What this
                            means is that I pitch a rather thick 10 oz. slurry to five gallons.
                            Fermentation takes off like a rocket, which is desireable for all
                            beverages. With the old "smack-pack" method, my barley juice would take
                            four to eight hours to start. With the slurry, it starts within an hour.
                            Perfect for avoiding inadvertant inoculation of undesireable
                            microorganisms.

                            Of course, to use this method means you need one of the following:

                            1. Cylindro-conical fermenters from which you can draw slurry;
                            2. Yeast (and other trub) from a just-racked fermentation; or
                            3. A pal at the local microbrewery or brewpub.

                            Have fun!

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2000
                              Sorry I have not replied earlier.
                              Yes, I kill off the wild yeast from the pure juice with it prior to
                              fermentation.
                              It sounds like you have had the same problem with a sulfur taste, what did
                              you do to get rid of it? What is your suggestion.
                              > I've been venting for two years now, and have a minor problem with
                              > alcohol content. ( as in it will knock you on your back side ). Some
                              > problem EH.

                              Indeed! I know some who *wish* they had your problem. ;-) If you
                              really consider it a problem, there's probably someone here who can help.

                              > With higher content comes a sulfur after taste.

                              That flavor is probably not linked at all to your higher ABV. There are
                              a multiplicity of causes; would you mind running down your process? Do
                              you use sulfites for sanitization?

                              Pax,

                              -Robert fitz Thomas, Shire of Eisental, East.

                              Robert Davis: Brewer, Historian
                              Dolor est fugax. Gloria perennis. Puellae
                              cicatricibus gaudent.

                              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. <http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.>

                              eGroups Sponsor