Re: [SCA_Brew] Re: Mtn Dew Mead

  • Bryon Culling
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2005
      This has got to go on my To Brew list just as soon as someone posts or sends me the resipe.
      Ive got a few friends who love Mtn Dew and if this is any good, it sounds like something they would like.

      Lady Briant <ladybriant@...> wrote:
      I have to second this, I also know of this particular brew and was party
      to watching some Code Red Mountain Dew mead created. It was a
      rather....interesting time.

      Herr Heinrich, could you please contact me off list?

      Lady Briant
      Outlands (formerly of AEthelmearc)

      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 5, 2005
        It should be noted that Burton Water Salts do not actually contain
        table salt (NaCl). It is actually a mixture of "brewing salt," which
        include things like gypsum (CaSO4), epsom salt (MgSO4), baking soda
        (NaHCO3), calcium chloride (CaCl2), chalk (CaCO3), and so on. The
        purpose of brewing salt is not to make something taste salty.

        There are 6 principle brewing ions that can affect things like mash
        pH, hop bitterness, and so on: Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Sodium
        (Na), Sulfate (SO4), Chloride (Cl), and Bicarbonate (HCO3). Each
        classic brewing area has a unique combination of these that makes the
        beer that comes from that area unique.

        In fact, because of the water, you can not even brew a style of beer
        from one area in another area. For instance, the stouts of Dublin are
        made with very hard water, while the pilsners of Pilsen are made with
        soft water. You cannot brew a stout in Pilsen or a pilsner in Dublin.
        The mash chemistry will not come out right.

        Brewing salt are used to adjust the brewing ions in water to make them
        match a classic brewing area. Basically, they are used to adjust
        water chemistry. In fact, in rare cases, *small* amounts of table
        salt (NaCl) can be added to increase the Sodium(Na) and Chloride(Cl).

        When you see something like Burton Water Salts, these are used to
        adjust the water chemistry to match the classic brewing area, Burton
        on Trent. Burton on Trent has water that is very high in calcium (Ca)
        and sulfate (SO), but very low in hardness and alkalinity. As a
        result, it is known for beers that are pale, but very bitter. Burton
        Brewing Salts contain a lot of Gypsum (CaSO4), which can raise the
        calcium and sulfate.

        There is a very good chapter on water chemistry in John Palmer's book,
        How To Brew:

        - Edric, the all-grain evangelist