New members, etc.

  • NATHAN T Moore
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2000
      Greetings fellow SCA brewers,

      We have had several new brewers join lately and now have over 120 members on this list. This is great and I am really pleased this has developed in to a great central location for SCA brewers to communicate and try to further our craft within the society. Things have been a bit quiet, as is the nature of this list to go through quiet spells, and I just wanted to let all the new members know that there is a crowd of SCA brewers out here, and not to worry. Because the focus of this list is reasonably narrow we often go through these spells. But, if you have any questions or information to share concerning anything related to brewing (historic or just general questions) or of interest to other brewers/drinkers in the SCA feel free to chime in.

      We now return you to your regularly scheduled summer camping events.

      Lord Nathi O'Peatain
      Brewer of the Stumble Inn
      Kingdom of the Outlands
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2000
        Greeting ya'll

        I'm fairly ne to the group, been lurking for
        about a month or so, and pretty new to brewing
        as well. I've got a 5 gal. batch of Cyser
        going, started on July 15, and just racked it
        clear the lees over the weekend.

        When I tried a bit of it to see how things were
        progressing, I noticed a bitter, chemical taste.
        Aroma, color were good (according to a more
        experienced firend who was helping me) but we
        were both puzzled about the taste. It's not
        strong, or even obtrusive but a slightly bitter
        aftertaste.

        I've read as much as I can get my hands oe, and
        figure that it's just a high tannin level from
        the cider that may mellow as the fermentation
        progresses, or I might have to fine it out.

        Any suggestions for a good, preferably period,
        fining for mead?

        Ulfgrimm Askasmithrson
        Meridies