Re: OneStep ?

  • eadriclongfellow
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      Years ago, I used to use bleach. However, I started to have problems
      with chlorophenols. It would make my beers taste like band-aids.
      Now, I could not use it anyway because it pits stainless steel.

      I switched to One Step for a while. However, I talked to a couple
      people who used it and had some infection problems. This was not
      enough to get me to switch, but I started to ask questions about
      contact time needed to effectively sanitize. I eventually talked to
      someone who worked for Logic, Inc., the company that makes it. He
      told me that they could not get a sanitizer rating from the government
      and that he still used idophor to sanitize. That was enough for me to
      switch.

      I used idophor for a few batches, but did not like the staining. I
      eventually settled on Star San, a no-rinse, stainless steel safe,
      phosphoric acid based sanitizer. I settled on that after I talked to
      a professional brewer and he told me that he used phosphoric acid. I
      figured that if it is good enough for the big boys, it is good enough
      for me.

      Basically, I use Straight-A for general cleaning and Star San to
      sanitize. I'm pretty happy with that.

      - Edric, the all-grain evangelist

      --- In sca_brew@yahoogroups.com, Rick <jahartek@y...> wrote:
      > I use simple household bleach from the dollar store to sanitize. I
      don't buy in to all the hype about these cleansers. I do a batch
      sanitize on all of my bottles and brewing equipment in a tub before I
      even begin. Let it all soak for about an hour or two, just to be sure.
      I've done 17 batches so far without one contamination problem. Sure
      the rinsing part is a pain, but when working on probably the TIGHTEST
      budget there is, bleach is the way to go... Just my $.02! :)

      > Sailor, brewer, gypsy, rogue,
      >
      > Edward Shirebrooke
      >
      > Ship's Brewer and privateer aboard the Soul Reaver.
      > Loyal and honorable shield-brother of the Corsarium.
      > Loyal and honorable shield-brother to Saunooke the Tuchux.
      > Loyal and honorable privateer of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
      >
      > See my ship's webpage at www.compascable.net/~reaver
      >
      > These are my views, these are my opinions, I harbor no resentments.

    • John Kemker
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        I'm in a similar situation, in that I use Star-San, but also use
        Five-Star's other product, Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW) for cleaning.

        Developed specificially for brewery operations for Coors, it's the
        easiest to use that I've found. Mix it in the right proportions, let it
        sit in the item to be cleaned for the specified time. (It gives ranges,
        depending on how much buildup needs to be cleaned) Rinse, sanitize with
        Star-San and brew.

        Just about as simple as can be. Because they're made by the same
        company, Star-San and PBW are compatible.

        Another thing to remember about Star-San: The foam produced when you
        mix up a batch of Star-San is sanitizing, as well. Which means that
        when you're sanitizing a soda keg or carboy, you don't have to fill it
        all the way with liquid. Just fill it until the foam overflows a bit.
        Let it sit and sanitize for a bit, then pour out the liquid.

        --Cian O'Madadhain