Packed Up the Brewing Stuff

  • eadriclongfellow
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
      It is getting kinda quiet, so I though I'd break the silence.

      I just packed up the brewing stuff because we are moving. We are
      building a new house that won't be done for several months, but we
      have to sell the one we are in before then and move into a temporary
      place. In the end, that means we have to move twice, and it also
      means the brewing stuff won't come out of storage until we move into
      the new house -- most likely in February.

      What really stinks about that is that I won't be able to brew for
      Estrella, for the first time in over five years. I've always brought
      about 10 gallons of beer to Estrella. I guess the good news is that
      I'll be able to judge the beer competition for the first time, since
      I'll not be entering it.

      On the up side, the new place will have a dedicated brewing room. I'm
      pretty excited about that. I have this grand plan to break it in with
      a Double Decocted (my wife always gets excited when I say those words)
      Bohemian Pilsner.

      So to cheer me up, who is brewing what right now? (If I can't brew, I
      can at least talk about brewing) I know it is still a few months
      away, but does anybody plan to bring anything to Estrella?

      - Edric
    • Kim Gallagher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004

        I would love to make something simple with all these apples I have.  Any ideas?

        Micheila

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
          > So to cheer me up, who is brewing what right now? (If I can't brew, I can
          > at least talk about brewing) I know it is still a few months away, but
          > does anybody plan to bring anything to Estrella?

          I'm not coming to Estrella (wrong coast and all that). I just bottled off an
          apple cider that turned out reasonably well, and a Gewurztraminer which is
          presently aging. It should be done just about in time for our anniversary
          (Gewurz is my boyfriend's favorite varietal), so I've labeled it "Jahrestag
          Gewurztraminer" <grin>.

          ****************
          Reb Avraham haRofeh
          (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
          Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles counterchanged
          Random Tag: File not found. A)bort R)etry I)nfluence with large hammer
        • Jason Costarakis
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
            just got back from this weeks meeting for my bjcp class, last nite kegged
            up 5 gal of a strong honey ale a friend who tried it dubbed it honey
            doom! og 1.084, fg 1.032. the wort was at 1.054 before adding 10 lbs of
            honey to 10 gal of wort. can strongly smell & taste the honey in the ale
            (secret spice trick for that) but with good malt & hop balance (maybe just
            a bit heavy on the bittering, but will age out well if it doesn't all get
            drunk at gww!) anyone going to gww look me up; the 15' yurt with the
            swing calafian baronial camp
            Jason the mad brewer

            At 05:17 PM 10/6/2004, you wrote:

            >It is getting kinda quiet, so I though I'd break the silence.
            >
            >I just packed up the brewing stuff because we are moving. We are
            >building a new house that won't be done for several months, but we
            >have to sell the one we are in before then and move into a temporary
            >place. In the end, that means we have to move twice, and it also
            >means the brewing stuff won't come out of storage until we move into
            >the new house -- most likely in February.
            >
            >What really stinks about that is that I won't be able to brew for
            >Estrella, for the first time in over five years. I've always brought
            >about 10 gallons of beer to Estrella. I guess the good news is that
            >I'll be able to judge the beer competition for the first time, since
            >I'll not be entering it.
            >
            >On the up side, the new place will have a dedicated brewing room. I'm
            >pretty excited about that. I have this grand plan to break it in with
            >a Double Decocted (my wife always gets excited when I say those words)
            >Bohemian Pilsner.
            >
            >So to cheer me up, who is brewing what right now? (If I can't brew, I
            >can at least talk about brewing) I know it is still a few months
            >away, but does anybody plan to bring anything to Estrella?
            >
            >- Edric
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kythe
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
              Doing the Hattrick. I've got my pumpkin stout racked off and will
              probably have to clean bottles tonite to bottle soon, My Maple Hard
              Cyder is bubbling great guns, i suspect I'll have to put that
              downstairs soon to keep it cool but it's going pretty well. And my
              experiment of the year is 4 8oz (I think it's close to 4 lbs) of
              Tulip Poplar Honey in 2 gallons of water, 1 lime and some d-47
              yeast, it's been racked off once already and it's clearing nicely
              but i keep getting a slow bubble every 2 to 3 hours. I'm not getting
              much alcohol out of it but it's got a slight tinge of sweetness to
              it still. I'm hoping the yeast didn't up and die on me.
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
                >I just packed up the brewing stuff because we are moving...it means the brewing stuff won't come out of storage until we move into the new house -- most likely in February.

                <sniff!> I'm so sorry :~( Who knows, maybe a carboy, a kettle and an
                airlock might jiggle loose so you could brew on the stove....I dunno,
                with like extracts or something..... :)

                >On the up side, the new place will have a dedicated brewing room. I'm
                >pretty excited about that.

                Oh yeah! You wouldn't *believe* how much my brewing picked up when I
                moved out of a townhouse and got a place with a 30'x40' barn, about half
                of which is now a brewery. Places for four second-hand refrigerators,
                natural gas piped right in to burners, a concrete floor with drains
                that I can just hose clean, blah, blah, blah. You're gonna love your new
                brewing space! Makes so much difference!

                >So to cheer me up, who is brewing what right now?

                Got an Oktoberfest that would be kegged up this weekend if I weren't
                driving to Philly (from central Michigan, blecch!) plus a pretty good
                rendition of Mrs. Harrison's beer (late 16th c. recipe) that we brewed
                at recent event demo. Had a bunch of people over Sunday and we watched
                bad movies ("Vampire Vixens from Venus", etc.) and pressed about 6
                bushels of apples into cider--one five gallon batch of pure
                organically-grown Jonathans [I've never done a varietal cider before], a
                batch of mixed Jonathan, Red Delicious and MacIntosh, and a batch of
                Macs + Red Delicious mixed with some peaches that had been soaking in
                bourbon for a coupla months (okay, they were leftovers from a
                peach-bourbon cordial). Taking a Sunday off, then I'll be right back
                into some stuff for late winter drinking (I'm thinking Russian Imperial
                Stouts, coupla barleywines, doppelbocks, that kinda thing) and/or some
                holiday specials (Pumpkin Ale, Cranberry Something-or-other, just
                possibly a Black Walnut Brown Ale if I can collect enough nuts in the
                next coupla weeks. Need the hulls for dyeing anyway)

                We'll try to keep the airlocks pucking for ya!

                odo