Re: Pears

  • helewyse
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2003
      --- In sca_brew@yahoogroups.com, Cianna <cianna@t...> wrote:
      > I have had some great success making pear cordial. I'd be happy to
      > share recipes if you are interested.
      >
      > Cianna

      Yup, I'm interested. I'd love to see the recipes.

      Helewyse
    • Cianna
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2003
        My apologies for not replying earlier - life got crazy!

        Here is how I prepared two different pear cordials that have turned
        out quite tasty!

        Ginger Pear Cordial
        4 small Moonglow pears (~1 cup chopped)
        1.5 cups white brandy
        1/2 tsp. ginger
        Combine all ingredients into a tightly sealed jar and let steep for
        30 days. Give jar a gentle shake every day. Filter out all solids and
        add honey simple syrup to taste. Let age at least 9 months.

        Pear with Cinnamon and Orange
        4 Moonglow pears, chopped
        1.5 cups Vodka
        1 tsp orange peel
        1 small cinnamon stick
        Combine all ingredients into a tightly sealed jar and let steep for
        30 days. Give jar a gentle shake every day. Filter out all solids and
        add honey simple syrup to taste. Let age at least 9 months.

        My rule of thumb is to add enough alcohol so that the fruit and
        spices are able "swim" in the liquid. So, with that in mind, if you
        have large containers and enough alcohol to cover your fruit, you
        should do well.

        Cianna