brewers at Gulf Wars?

  • Jocosa <shewolfen@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
      I've mostly lurked on this board, supplementing my brewing knowledge
      form this board and others. Just curious who's all going to Gulf
      Wars and does anyone want to set a 'meeting' to gather, taste test
      and swap brewing info? I'm taking five varieties of home-brewed
      goodness...possibly six.

      Jocosa d'Auxerre
      Shire of Thorngill
    • Lady Daria
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
        I wish I could make it. Stuck with work (pout)

        Daria
      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
          "Jocosa <shewolfen@...>" <shewolfen@...> said:

          > I've mostly lurked on this board, supplementing my brewing knowledge
          > form this board and others. Just curious who's all going to Gulf
          > Wars and does anyone want to set a 'meeting' to gather, taste test
          > and swap brewing info? I'm taking five varieties of home-brewed
          > goodness...possibly six.
          >
          > Jocosa d'Auxerre
          > Shire of Thorngill

          I'll be there the entire week. Unfortunately I wont be bringing any bew
          because I have just been too busy lately to brew. Also, since Gulf War is
          THE combat archey war, my official duties will keep me VERY busy all week.

          Regards,

          --
          Lord Eadric Anstapa
          Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
            Before  planning a tasting or any competition you need to check out if Lumberton is in a WET county.  It is my understanding that it is in a DRY county.

            Arts & Science ministers in Meridies have been advised to check the event site rules and the county laws before scheduling vinting & brewing activites.

            Jocosa wrote:
            I've mostly lurked on this board, supplementing my brewing knowledge
            form this board and others.  Just curious who's all going to Gulf
            Wars and does anyone want to set a 'meeting' to gather, taste test
            and swap brewing info? I'm taking five varieties of home-brewed
            goodness...possibly six.

            Jocosa d'Auxerre
            Shire of Thorngill

            Visit the SCA_Brew web site at http://sca_brew.homestead.com

          • Eadric Anstapa
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
              Rovena <rovena@...> said:

              > Before planning a tasting or any competition you need to check out if
              > Lumberton is in a WET county. It is my understanding that it is in a
              > DRY county.
              >
              > Arts & Science ministers in Meridies have been advised to check the
              > event site rules and the county laws before scheduling vinting & brewing
              > activites.

              Dry counties dont mean you cant drink beer (good god half the Ansteorran camp
              would dry up and blow away). It is means you can buy beer.

              A private party with beer is just fine.

              There are laws in states that prohibit transport of alcohol over X amount.
              And there are laws in some states that prohibit transport of any homebrewed
              (non taxed) alcohol.

              In a private encampment and a private party there should be no problmes (once
              ya get the beverage on site) as long as you dont give it to people who are
              under age.

              Regards,

              --
              Lord Eadric Anstapa
              Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
              eadric@...
            • Jocosa
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
                'Twas nothing mentioned about a competition... I'm well aware of the
                A&S rules that do not allow brewing comps within dry counties...
                this is merely an invite for an informal gathering of brewers...
                the site is discreetly wet as far as political correctness goes.

                Still looking forward to meeting a few brewers at the War... I'll be
                on site as of Wednesday afternoon...

                Jocosa
              • Aoibhinn ingen Artan/Navah
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
                  <<<< From: "Jocosa" <shewolfen@...>
                  Subject: Re: brewers at Gulf Wars?

                  'Twas nothing mentioned about a competition... I'm well aware of the
                  A&S rules that do not allow brewing comps within dry counties...
                  this is merely an invite for an informal gathering of brewers...
                  the site is discreetly wet as far as political correctness goes.

                  Still looking forward to meeting a few brewers at the War... I'll be
                  on site as of Wednesday afternoon...

                  Jocosa>>>

                  No where on the gulfwars.org does it say anything prohibiting alcoholic
                  beverages.... and historically speaking, there has been ample alcohol on
                  site in the past. As well as brewing/venting catagories in art sci, in fact
                  I was invited to enter with a cordial of mine. So no, I don't think there
                  will be a problem. Someone already mentioned it... a dry county only means
                  you can't sell or buy liquor. Many dry counties permit the sale of beer and
                  wine and only limit the sale of distilled alcohol. I grew up in one.

                  Navah
                • Jason Davis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
                    Is there a webpage with info about gulf wars?

                    -Jae

                    --- "Jocosa <shewolfen@...>"
                    <shewolfen@...> wrote:
                    > I've mostly lurked on this board, supplementing my
                    > brewing knowledge
                    > form this board and others. Just curious who's all
                    > going to Gulf
                    > Wars and does anyone want to set a 'meeting' to
                    > gather, taste test
                    > and swap brewing info? I'm taking five varieties of
                    > home-brewed
                    > goodness...possibly six.
                    >
                    > Jocosa d'Auxerre
                    > Shire of Thorngill

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • Minton, Robert A
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
                      yes.

                      Stu

                      --No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

                      <shewolfen@...> wrote:
                      > I've mostly lurked on this board, supplementing my
                      > brewing knowledge
                      > form this board and others.  Just curious who's all
                      > going to Gulf
                      > Wars and does anyone want to set a 'meeting' to
                      > gather, taste test
                      > and swap brewing info? I'm taking five varieties of
                      > home-brewed
                      > goodness...possibly six.
                      >
                      > Jocosa d'Auxerre
                      > Shire of Thorngill

                    • Rovena
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
                        Please permit me to clarify myself as I am being misunderstood.

                        It was just in the past few months that the issue of officially
                        sposnsored vinting/brewing in dry counties came up.

                        I agree that there are many different definitions to dry and the law is
                        most inconsistent.

                        But just because an event has been rather wide open in the past does not
                        mean it can't change. NOTHING has changed for this year at Gulf Wars.
                        Most alcohol at most events are private sponsored not Society sponsoted
                        so little will change such activities. What could change is if a
                        recognized guild or a recognized (non-household) group sposnsors the
                        alcohol activity.

                        I don't like the red tape and the legal eagles looking into this for
                        Meridies have not made their pronouncement on what has to change (if
                        anything) but it is being looked into. I just wanted people to be aware
                        of the current tide of this so they could make plans that will
                        maximumize their fun with the minimum road blocks.

                        Rovena