period mead

  • rneidhardt_1999
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2002
      I have made several batches of mead, with alcohol levels of 16-20%.
      I am about to attempt to do a batch that has an alcohol content of
      about a beer. Does anyone have any good period-style recipes for
      one? Or where I should start to research to find one? I appreciate
      the assistance.

      Eoghan Rurikson
      Clan Diarmat
      www.geocities.com\rneidhardt_1999\ClanDiarmat.html
    • Nathan Moore
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
        There are several period mead recipes on
        SCA_Brew.homestead.com:
        http://sca_brew.homestead.com/files/recipe.html, look
        in the mead section.

        One that I did that turned out tasty and interesting
        is the Boiled Mead recipe from the Dormostro. For a
        "half-measure of hops" I think I used about 1oz of
        Sazz hops. You can skip the straining part, because
        modern honey is already strained. I used champaigne
        yeast for this, but with the low amount of honey it
        was still a moderate alcohol level, about 6% or so.
        Note that you boil the honey BEFORE mixing it with
        water. This carmelizes the honey a bit and seems to
        help with leaving a bit of residual sweetness.

        Nathi

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com