Almonds anyone

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
      I am thinking of trying an almond meed and i was curious if anyone
      has ever made something with it. I imagine it would ba long the lines
      of working with acorns as it is a nut. BUt What the hell it might
      just taste great, you know how turkish delight or bakalav is
      obviously less the pastery. But if anyone has any imput on it I would
      sure like some pointers.

      Thanks

      Lightnin'Boi
    • blacksmith4lb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
        i think it might be a little like amoretta, that flavor is derived from almonds. hey it might be a hit, who knows
        vernon
      • mikeat328@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002

          Fellow Enthusiasts :
              I very well may be entirely mistaken , but I believe Ameretto is actually made from the pits of Apricots , and has no actual Almonds in it .

          Michael Denny
        • Chavah
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
            I'm pretty sure that amaretto is almond based. It's more than almonds, though... I know there's vanilla and a few other things. I made an almond cordial that doesn't have the same sweetness as amaretto, but has a very similar base taste.

            An almond mead sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out!

            Chavah
                I very well may be entirely mistaken , but I believe Ameretto is actually made from the pits of Apricots , and has no actual Almonds in it .

            Michael Denny

          • Avraham haRofeh
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
              >> I very well may be entirely mistaken , but I believe Ameretto is
              actually made from the pits of Apricots , and has no actual Almonds in it .

              >> Michael Denny
              >>
              >I'm pretty sure that amaretto is almond based. It's more than almonds,
              though... I know there's vanilla and a few other things. I made an almond
              cordial that doesn't have the same sweetness as amaretto, but has a very
              similar base taste.

              >Chavah

              Michael is correct. A traditional amaretto is made from the nut at the
              center of the apricot pit. The almond (Amygdalus comunis) and the apricot
              (Prunus armeniaca) are both members of the family Rosaceae; in fact, the
              genus Amygdalus is sometimes considered a subset of the genus Prunus - the
              difference being that fruits of Prunae have fleshy pulp surrounding the
              stone, while the Amygdalae have a leathery, juiceless coat. Other members of
              this family include roses, plums, peaches and cherries.

              Avraham

              Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
              (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
            • Nathan Moore
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
                The almond mead I have had was made from almonds,
                toasted in an oven whole, then chopped, and added to
                the secondary while still warm. The aroma of toasted
                almonds carried over and the flavor was like
                ameretto...regardless of how it is usualy made :^). I
                think the brewer said he did a 1 gallon batch and
                ended up with about 3/4" or so of almonds on the
                bottom of a 1 gallon jug, so maybe a cup or two of
                almonds. It really was an excellent mead. I would
                make sure to make it resonably sweet, at least a 1.015
                final gravity. I would recomend a yeast that leaves a
                nice soft flavor, Lalvin 71b, or the Lalvin k1V or
                Montarachet, although those two will take more aging.
                I would not use Cotes de blanc or Lalvin d47.

                Nathi

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • blacksmith4lb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
                  well i be, im smarter now! i knew i joined this thing for a reason. i really wasnt sure but the flavor says almond, i hope your batch comes off with a great, inspiring , flavor and is smooth and level as a table, with just the right amount of sweet
                  best of luck to ya
                  vernon
                  witan of bramblebrier
                  son of a lost endevour