RE: [SCA_Brew] Re: legal distillation

  • Deborah Quinlan
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
      GO New Zealand!

      LOL. Good thing I wasn't that interested anyway ;-)

      Cheers
      Deborah

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
        To counter this arguement, I would respond that it is legal to buy
        and sell drug paraphanila(sp?)(i.e. head shops). It is however
        illegal to use the items for their intended use. So just because
        the equipment is sold, that doesn't make it legal.

      • Steven Sanders
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- lylemcneal <lylemcneal274@...> wrote:
          > To counter this arguement, I would respond that it
          > is legal to buy
          > and sell drug paraphanila(sp?)(i.e. head shops). It
          > is however
          > illegal to use the items for their intended use. So
          > just because
          > the equipment is sold, that doesn't make it legal.

          Right.. But if you go to a head shop, or wherever,
          they dont say, "use this water pipe to smoke pot
          with". Its sold for tobacco use. You cant even call it
          a 'bong' because that implies illict use. If you say
          you are using it for drug usage, they wont sell it to
          you. Whereas, in the catalog I saw this in, it was
          specificly sold for distilling of wine into brandy.
          No other purpose was mentioned. :/

          Ive read the ATF rules and what not, and it does seem
          to indicate that unregulated distilling is illegal,
          period, and I have no intent of telling anyone that it
          is legal. But, with this item for sale, it seems to
          imply that either there is some loophole for really
          small stills, or that whoever is selling this is going
          to get a call from the ATF very soon. (if not already.
          I saw it a few years back)

          steven

          =====

        • PBLoomis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
            In a message dated 8/31/02 8:55:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
            housezacharia@... writes:

            > You are either a homebrewer or a business. If a business then you get
            > all the required paperwork and there is no question. The Guild in Caid
            > has talked to the Feds for 20 years on the subject of Home brewed
            > distilation. You would need to talk to Master ATar to get the
            > particulars but it comes down to this,
            > Two Gallons max for your own, personal, use only not even to be shared
            > for judging, for spouse, for anyone.

            I say again, "Citation, please. Chapter and verse."
            Here's mine: < http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/faq_1.htm >
            Where's yours???

            I do not recommend that anyone take the unsupported word of any
            other person, Master of the Laurel or not, on any subject that can land
            him/her in the slammer for five years.

            THL Scotti mac Curraugh
            Curmudgeon
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
              In a message dated 8/31/02 9:17:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
              henry@... writes:

              > There once was (is?) an SCA distillation mail list that had quite a number
              > of us investigating distillation and what was required to be legal. I read
              > the Fed codes, spoke to several attorneys, and the San Jose CA BATF
              > regarding the need for a license.

              That list still exists, < SCA-dist2@yahoogroups.com >, but there has
              been no traffic for a while. We all got tired of beating our heads against
              the wall. Interested people may want to prowl its archives.
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
                In a message dated 8/31/02 10:03:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
                geigertube@... writes:

                > It looks like a very small amount of distilling is
                > legal, or if not, the laws are not enforced. Ive seen
                > small glass distillers being sold in Signals
                > catalogs(some sort of US public television/radio
                > branch-off) expressly for the purpose of making
                > brandy. These stills are very small, are heated with a
                > tea candle, and make about a shots glass worth of
                > brandy at a time.

                And it says right in the Advert, "Not to be used for distilling alcohol."
                Please stop posting Urban Legends.
                As Henry said, " I am sure that you would not want to be the reason why
                a fellow member of the SCA is fined or goes to jail."

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
                  In a message dated 8/31/02 4:13:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  deborah@... writes:

                  > However, for curiosity's sake, does anyboy know if it is legal in the UK?

                  The only place I know that it's specifically legal is New Zealand.
                  There may be others.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
                    --- PBLoomis@... wrote:
                    > Daylight Time,
                    > geigertube@... writes:
                    >
                    > > It looks like a very small amount of distilling is
                    > > legal, or if not, the laws are not enforced. Ive
                    > seen
                    > > small glass distillers being sold in Signals
                    > > catalogs(some sort of US public television/radio
                    > > branch-off) expressly for the purpose of making
                    > > brandy. These stills are very small, are heated
                    > with a
                    > > tea candle, and make about a shots glass worth of
                    > > brandy at a time.
                    > >
                    > And it says right in the Advert, "Not to be used
                    > for distilling alcohol."

                    Are you looking at that catalog entry right now? Or
                    have a copy somewhere? Ive been trying to pin it down,
                    but have had to go by memory, but I dont recall them
                    saying that.

                    steven

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
                      In a message dated 9/1/02 12:12:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      geigertube@... writes:

                      > Whereas, in the catalog I saw this in, it was
                      > specifically sold for distilling of wine into brandy.
                      > No other purpose was mentioned. :/

                      Please go back and look again. Then be prepared to cite which issue
                      of which catalog.
                      Small stills like that are routinely used for extraction of essential
                      oils
                      by aqueous distillation.
                      EVERY ad I've seen for such stills says something to the effect of
                      "Not to be used for distillation of alcohol."

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
                        --- PBLoomis@... wrote:
                        > Daylight Time,
                        > geigertube@... writes:
                        >
                        > > Whereas, in the catalog I saw this in, it was
                        > > specifically sold for distilling of wine into
                        > brandy.
                        > > No other purpose was mentioned. :/
                        > >
                        > Please go back and look again. Then be prepared
                        > to cite which issue
                        > of which catalog.
                        > Small stills like that are routinely used for
                        > extraction of essential
                        > oils
                        > by aqueous distillation.
                        > EVERY ad I've seen for such stills says
                        > something to the effect of
                        > "Not to be used for distillation of alcohol."
                        > Scotti

                        Sorry, Scotti, on this particular issue, all that is
                        available is my memory. And that memory recalls it
                        mentioning distilling wine into brandy. Which is why I
                        found it odd. I dont save every catalog I get in the
                        mail on the off chance that I might be able to someday
                        use it to defend my memory on a internet mail group.
                        "WHOO! Better save this one in case someone asks for a
                        primary citation from a mail order catalog!" If
                        everyone wishes to consider my memory accurate, thats
                        great. If they don't wish to, thats great too.

                        If it will make you feel any better, I will say this:
                        If someone distills a shots glass worth of brandy, and
                        is prosecuted for such a crime, will that person
                        please send a copy of your paperwork to
                        geigertube@..., or contact that address for
                        mailing information. I will contribute to your legal
                        defense fund.

                        Regards,

                        Steven

                        =====
                        Two and two are merely four.
                        Often less, but never more,
                        And I, for all the worlds advance,
                        An upright mammal, wearing pants.

                        http://www.studiosputnik.com

                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                      • Limey Viking

                          =====
                          Two and two are merely four.
                          Often less, but never more,
                          And I, for all the worlds advance,
                          An upright mammal, wearing pants.

                          http://www.studiosputnik.com

                          ---
                          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                          ---

                          Visit the SCA_Brew web site at http://sca_brew.homestead.com

                          "Never have I encountered a mind as perverted as yours.  Have yoou considered a career in the Church?"  Blackadder II

                        • Charles Sifers
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 3, 2002
                            This is all patently absurd. If you think these guys care if you make a few
                            gallons of hooch, you're sorely mistaken.

                            And that two gallons, or whatever your state allows, is for personal
                            possesion. You are free to share it with anyone over the age of 21.

                            I'm sure someone will have a rebuttal to this, but my friends at the BATF
                            say they couldn't care less, as long as you're not selling it.

                            And the brandy distillers I've seen have no such warning. In fact, I know
                            two glass salesmen that will happily sell you a what ever you need, with no
                            registratation required.

                            Honestly guys, get a life.

                            -zz