east coast supplies

  • ayebeeguilty
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
      baisc question for east coast philly area people. I have been going
      crazy looking for Vanilla beans, herbs, spices and such. So does any
      one have a good recommendation where to buy bulk quantities online or
      around Philadelphia? I have tried some of the farmers markets and all
      but I am having limited success finding things. I can get good honey
      and some maple syrup once in a while but nothing on a regular basis.
      So if you have any good links or resources to check out anything
      would be a big help.

      Also I was wondering if anyone has any of that SA 3010 super yeast or
      some other variant of distillers yeast. I can't find any in the local
      brew shops, and online I have found the 20% distillers yeast, but I
      am really trying to get my hands on some of that Sam Adams stuff
      hybrid.

      LightninBoi
    • Chavah
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
        I don't know Philly... but I do know that Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Bread and Circus are all natural foods stores in New England/New Jersey. If you have any of them near by, they're a great source for spices and possibly some herbs.

        Good luck!
        Chavah
        Shire of Caer Galen
        Kingdom of the Outlands

        PS If you're going to Pennsic, it's a great place to shop as well.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
          ayebeeguilty wrote:

          > baisc question for east coast philly area people. I have been going
          > crazy looking for Vanilla beans, herbs, spices and such. So does any
          > one have a good recommendation where to buy bulk quantities online or
          > around Philadelphia? I have tried some of the farmers markets and all
          > but I am having limited success finding things. I can get good honey
          > and some maple syrup once in a while but nothing on a regular basis.
          > So if you have any good links or resources to check out anything
          > would be a big help.

          There's no online resource, but Perrine's Farm -- a plant/gardening
          supply center -- sells most of the herbs, spices, etc. used in brewing.

          Contact info:

          Perrine's Farm
          610 Little York - Mt Pleasant Road (Rt 631)
          Milford, NJ 08848
          [fone] 908.996.4001
          email: katydid@...

          I use them almost exclusively. George Hummel at Home Sweet Homebrew is
          also a good bet for things like that.

          http://www.beerphiladelphia.com/homesweet/

          As for vanilla beans and other fresh "wierd" spices, check your local
          oriental grocery. I've found all kinds of really spiff ingredients at
          the local Vietnamese grocery in downtown Easton, PA.

          > Also I was wondering if anyone has any of that SA 3010 super yeast or
          > some other variant of distillers yeast. I can't find any in the local
          > brew shops, and online I have found the 20% distillers yeast, but I
          > am really trying to get my hands on some of that Sam Adams stuff
          > hybrid.

          Any dealer (like George) who carries Crosby & Baker items can get
          Alltech distiller's yeast, on special order.

          Regards,

          -Bob

          --
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          Robert Davis: Brewer, Living Historian
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
            If you are right in Philly I can suggest The Spice Corner on 9th St.

            Another place to try is The Penn Herb Company.
            www.Pennherb.com
          • jtyska1@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
              I have to give a plug here for Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville.  They are very helpful, and will special order ingredients on request.  I'm sure you can work out a deal on wholesale quantities.

              Joseph A. Tyska, Sr.
              baisc question for east coast philly area people. I have been going
              crazy looking for Vanilla beans, herbs, spices and such. So does any
              one have a good recommendation where to buy bulk quantities online or
              around Philadelphia? I have tried some of the farmers markets and all
              but I am having limited success finding things. I can get good honey
              and some maple syrup once in a while but nothing on a regular basis.
              So if you have any good links or resources to check out anything
              would be a big help.

              Also I was wondering if anyone has any of that SA 3010 super yeast or
              some other variant of distillers yeast. I can't find any in the local
              brew shops, and online I have found the 20% distillers yeast, but I
              am really trying to get my hands on some of that Sam Adams stuff
              hybrid.

              LightninBoi

              Visit the SCA_Brew web site at http://sca_brew.homestead.com

            • Lyle McNeal
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                You may want to try the Pepper's Guild. They are a merchant that is at
                Pennsic most every year. I tried to find their website, but the only link
                that I found was a dead end. I know they this merchant is favored among
                cooks in the SCA.

                Lyle McNeal
                (Finn O'Flaharty)
                lylemcneal@...
                ICQ : 64559843
                MSN Messenger : lylemcneal274@...
              • Crystal A. Isaac
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                  --- ayebeeguilty <ayebeeguilty@...> wrote:
                  > does any
                  > one have a good recommendation where to buy bulk quantities
                  > online or
                  > around Philadelphia? I have tried some of the farmers markets

                  I've bought bulk herbs from Whole Foods, they have minimum
                  orders but what I got was good quality.
                  http://www.wholefoods.com/

                  I've also purchased through the herb room in Santa Cruz. They
                  don't seem to have a website of their own, so I'd use the fax,
                  as they seem to have considerable employee turnover.
                  http://www.infopoint.com/sc/market/food/herb/

                  I don't know Philadelphia, but a quick search turned up:

                  http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/about/about.php
                  http://www.pennherb.com/

                  And there's several mentions of PA retailers on this site:
                  http://www.storeybooks.com/main/body/bo_pages/herbal_bodyorig/stock_up/resource/resource.html#Anchor-14210

                  And Switchboard.com's yellow pages for Philadelphia brought up

                  good luck,
                  Crystal

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • ayebeeguilty
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                    Thanks to everyone for all the help.

                    I have used pennherb and they are really good for bulk herbs. I also
                    have a honey place that I use from Lancaster
                    http://www.dutchgoldhoney.com/ they can be a bit pricey but they do
                    sell bulk honey in 5 gallon buckets as well as pint and quarts
                    and it is good.

                    But I haven't tried the other suggestions. Stupidly I haven't gone to
                    the Italian or Chinese markets, dumb on my part.

                    So thanks again

                    LightninBoi
                  • PBLoomis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                      ayebeeguilty@... writes:

                      > I have been going
                      > crazy looking for Vanilla beans, herbs, spices and such. So does any
                      > one have a good recommendation where to buy bulk quantities online or
                      > around Philadelphia? I have tried some of the farmers markets and all
                      > but I am having limited success finding things. I can get good honey
                      > and some maple syrup once in a while but nothing on a regular basis.

                      If you need the stuff enough that you're willing to pay upscale prices,
                      try an organic health food store.
                      Scotti

                      Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.