Yeast is dead :(

  • Calibrid Ine Faile
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      greetings All,
      I have no bubbles anymore in my mead I think
      I killed the yeast. I straining yesterday and added
      more water and honey hoping it would add more sugar
      for the yeast but it doesn't look that way. My mead
      that i have now is fairly cloudy. I made too much
      water and honey so I put all the mead into two carboys
      that half full each. I gues now I have too much
      oxygen.

      Can I save my Mead or should I start again?

      Lady Calibrid

      http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Steven Sanders
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- Calibrid Ine Faile <ladycalibrid@...> wrote:
        > greetings All,
        > I have no bubbles anymore in my mead I
        > think
        > I killed the yeast. I straining yesterday and added
        > more water and honey hoping it would add more sugar
        > for the yeast but it doesn't look that way. My mead
        > that i have now is fairly cloudy. I made too much
        > water and honey so I put all the mead into two
        > carboys
        > that half full each. I gues now I have too much
        > oxygen.
        >
        > Can I save my Mead or should I start again?

        I'd wait a few days to see if it starts back up again.
        You may have removed most of the dissolved CO2 from
        your must when you strained, and it may take a little
        while for the levels to build up to the point where
        you will start seeing bubbles again..

        Worst case, and you probably shouldnt have to, just
        add another rehydrated yeast packet to your carboys..
        It should be fine..

        Steven

        =====
        My moon based death ray
        panics the people of earth.
        Mock my theories now!

        http://www.studiosputnik.com

        http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • PBLoomis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
          ladycalibrid@... writes:

          > I think
          > I killed the yeast. I straining yesterday and added
          > more water and honey hoping it would add more sugar
          > for the yeast but it doesn't look that way. My mead
          > that i have now is fairly cloudy.

          Before you start again, I gotta ask: Why were you straining it?
          What did you hope/need to accomplish?

          > I made too much
          > water and honey so I put all the mead into two carboys
          > that half full each. I guess now I have too much
          > oxygen.

          Probably. In that circumstance, fill one carboy and put the rest
          of the melomel in a couple of bottles and store them in the fridge.
          They can then be used to top off the new carboy when you rack the
          stuff. Which by the way is the right way to clarify it, not by straining.
          Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.
          My two farthings worth.
          Scotti