Hello...

  • Svein
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5, 2001
      My name is Svein and I am an alcoholic... AND I LOVE
      IT.

      Seriously though, I just joined the group and figured
      that I would say Hi. I have been in the Society for 8
      years and brewing for about 9 months with mixed
      success. I am looking forward to getting spiff ideas
      and stuff!

      Lord Svein Aelfricson
      Clan of the Arctic Winds
      Kingdom of the East

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • drosen105@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 5, 2001
        Welcolm Lord Svein! Where in the East is Clan of the Artic Winds?
        Rupert
      • Svein
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 5, 2001
          --- drosen105@... wrote:
          > Welcolm Lord Svein! Where in the East is Clan of
          > the Artic Winds?
          > Rupert

          Shire of Eisental which is in the Lehigh Valley,
          Pennsylvania (Allentown)

          Svein

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Bob Davis
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2001
            Svein wrote:

            > --- drosen105@... wrote:
            > > Welcolm Lord Svein! Where in the East is Clan of
            > > the Artic Winds?
            > > Rupert
            >
            > Shire of Eisental which is in the Lehigh Valley,
            > Pennsylvania (Allentown)
            >
            > Svein

            Hi, Svein! It's Robert fitz Thomas, better known to Eisenthallers as
            "Goon," and I live over in Easton, where I brew for a living. If you
            ever need anything, my contact info is in the Shire's Domesday (and I'll
            see messages here).

            Later,

            -Bob

            --
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            Robert Davis: Brewer, Living Historian
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2001
              clanarcticwinds@... writes:

              > I have been in the Society for 8
              > years and brewing for about 9 months with mixed
              > success. I am looking forward to getting spiff ideas
              > and stuff!

              What do you brew? Malt extract? Partial mash? All-grain?
              Mead? Wine? We can help you more if we know some specifics.

              Scotti
              Having a wonderful wine. Wish you were beer.
            • Svein
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 6, 2001
                > What do you brew? Malt extract? Partial mash?
                > All-grain?
                > Mead? Wine? We can help you more if we know some
                > specifics.

                I have brewed a couple of cysers (the first went down
                very well and the second, a ginger cyser is aging).

                I have made a few beers as well. They have all been
                malt extract. My most successful was an apple beer.
                I am interested in trying all kinds of brewing,
                eventually to say I have tried everything once and to
                really get into period beers/ales/meads.

                Svein

                http://im.yahoo.com
              • Isabell Elf
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 6, 2001
                  Hello everyone, I just started making mead and i was
                  wondering how long should I let it age and when is the
                  best time to add the yeast to it? My first mead was a
                  honey-apple mead which aged for one week and at our
                  event it was gone in 10 minutes, with everybody
                  wanting more. Is that to early to serve?

                  Isabell of the Green
                  Freeland

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Henry Davis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 6, 2001
                    At 06:11 AM 9/6/01 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Hello everyone, I just started making mead and i was
                    >wondering how long should I let it age and when is the
                    >best time to add the yeast to it? My first mead was a
                    >honey-apple mead which aged for one week and at our
                    >event it was gone in 10 minutes, with everybody
                    >wanting more. Is that to early to serve?

                    Hi Isabell,

                    You'll hear many different ideas on how long a mead needs to age in order
                    to be "drinkable."

                    The actual time required depends on many factors. In my experience, if you
                    ferment at a warm temperature or use a highly attenuating yeast, you will
                    need to let the mead age longer than if you use a less attenuating yeast or
                    ferment at lower temperatures (say between 60 and 65 F). Many experienced
                    brewers cite a year or more for high original gravity meads.

                    Quick meads can be consumed very young. But a lot depends on your personal
                    preferences. I taught a mead making class last November in which each
                    person took away one gallon of must to ferment at home. We used sweet mead
                    yeast and a moderate amount of honey per gallon. One person started
                    drinking their mead in January. It had a nice taste, no objectionable
                    flavors aside from a very small amount of yeast taste, but was a bit
                    cloudy. The second person tried theirs in February. Still tasted very nice,
                    was much clearer, and had a little bit of carbonation. The third person
                    bottled theirs in an unsanitized wine bottle. Clear mead, but the cork that
                    was reused added some new yeast to the mixture and fermentation stared
                    again. Very interesting flavor, and clear. The fourth person let their mead
                    sit in the basement undisturbed until April. Very clear, no yeast bite,
                    very nice - but the taste wasn't that different from the first person's.

                    If you are making a cyser, melomel, or metheglin aging requirements will
                    vary. Cyser made with wild yeast finishes very rapidly with great flavor
                    and bouquet but ages poorly. Herbed brews will have marked changes in the
                    flavor profile as they age.

                    BTW, the size of the aging vessel also has an impact. Smaller bottles
                    generally age more rapidly than large volume bottles.

                    Henry

                    > Isabell of the Green
                    > Freeland

                  • steve
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 6, 2001
                      Isabell Elf wrote:

                      > Hello everyone, I just started making mead and i was
                      > wondering how long should I let it age

                      I let mine rest 6 months to a year.

                      > and when is the best time to add the yeast to it?

                      after it has cooled to below 140F, or the heat will kill the yeast.

                      > My first mead was a honey-apple mead which aged for one week and at our
                      > event it was gone in 10 minutes, with everybody
                      > wanting more. Is that to early to serve?

                      if they liked it that young, then they would have loved it if it had aged and
                      mellowed.

                      Kyoto
                    • PBLoomis@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 6, 2001
                        clanarcticwinds@... writes:

                        > I have brewed a couple of cysers (the first went down
                        > very well and the second, a ginger cyser is aging).

                        I can't speak about cyser, myself. My first ever cyser is in the carboy
                        now. Note to self: Time to rack that puppy.
                        I've brewed ciders off and on for the last forty-five years. More off
                        than
                        on. I can now buy commercial hard cider significantly better than the best
                        I've ever made, so I've given up. From now on, I'll take the bus and leave
                        the driving to some guy who knows what he's doing.

                        > I have made a few beers as well. They have all been
                        > malt extract.

                        Extract is a good way to start. If you're only brewing for fun, and for
                        your friends, and an occasional gift to the Crown, extract brewing may
                        continue to be all you need or care to do. *Nothing* wrong with that!

                        > My most successful was an apple beer.
                        > I am interested in trying all kinds of brewing,
                        > eventually to say I have tried everything once and to
                        > really get into period beers/ales/meads.

                        It's only when you want to get into serious competition, and/or
                        attempting to recreate period beers, that you pretty much have to get
                        into all-grain brewing, since all of them were brewed from the grain up.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 6, 2001
                          isabellofthegreen@... writes:

                          > Hello everyone, I just started making mead and i was
                          > wondering how long should I let it age and when is the
                          > best time to add the yeast to it?

                          Best to add the yeast as soon as the water-honey mixture has
                          cooled back down to room temperature, after whatever pasteurizing
                          or boiling you treated it to.

                          >My first mead was a
                          > honey-apple mead which aged for one week and at our
                          > event it was gone in 10 minutes, with everybody
                          > wanting more. Is that too early to serve?

                          Evidently not, if it was gone in ten minutes.
                          How much did you make? One gallon? Five?
                          How much honey per gallon did you use? One pound honey
                          per gallon yields a quickmead, which is meant to be drunk young,
                          and may be excellent at that age.

                        • canterbury@visto.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
                            --- In sca_brew@y..., PBLoomis@a... wrote:
                            > How much honey per gallon did you use? One pound honey
                            > per gallon yields a quickmead, which is meant to be drunk young,
                            > and may be excellent at that age.

                            Hi Everyone!

                            I find this quick mead concept intriguing (I'm not really a patient
                            person :) Does anyone have a reliable recipe? What do these taste
                            like? I'm a malt extract brewer and have never made a mead before
                            (though I'm dying to try it out).

                            Thanks!

                            Pro Deo et Atlantia,
                            Robert of Canterbury
                          • Isabell Elf
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
                              well the one I use is this one:

                              1 pint Honey, 11 pints water, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1
                              tablespoon fresh sliced ginger (i use dried ginger)
                              and 1/2 tablespoon orange peel.

                              Put honey and water in pot boil it down 2/3 of the
                              way, skimming it periodically. This will take about 2
                              1/2 to 3 hours the mixture should be clear when done.
                              About 15 minutes before being done add the ginger, 5
                              minutes later the orange peel let it boil briefly.
                              Remove from heat and let it cool down to
                              roomtemperature add the yeast. Cover and let it sit
                              24-36 hours, now i prefer glas bottles, but the
                              original recipe I have says 2 liter soda bottles to
                              keep it from exploding. The mead will be drinkable in
                              about a week. But the longer you let it sit the better
                              it will taste.

                              Always happy to serve

                              Isabell of the Green
                              Kingdom Herold

                              http://im.yahoo.com
                            • PBLoomis@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 8, 2001
                                isabellofthegreen@... writes:

                                > Cover and let it sit
                                > 24-36 hours, now i prefer glass bottles, but the
                                > original recipe I have says 2 liter soda bottles to
                                > keep it from exploding. The mead will be drinkable in
                                > about a week. But the longer you let it sit the better
                                > it will taste.

                                It sounds as though you're doing the primary fermentation in the bottles.
                                Is this correct? How do you close the bottles? Screw caps?
                                Please talk a little more about the fermentation phase. As I read it
                                now, it sounds like a recipe for glass grenades, and I've made too many of
                                those.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 8, 2001
                                  Hello ,
                                  I am really new to this , but for the fermantion time
                                  i put papertowels over the bottleneck and fasten it
                                  with rubberbands. I let that stand in a dark,cool room
                                  for about a week and then use screwcaps, that were
                                  originally on the bottles i use. Sorry, I forget to
                                  tell you that in the recipe.

                                  By the way I am german, so if my spelling is less then
                                  perfect, please overlook it. And in german 'Herald' is
                                  spelled 'Herold'.

                                  Isabell of the Green

                                  .

                                  http://im.yahoo.com