OT: Re: [SCA-JML] spammed

  • Jason Silver
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003
      Greetings..

      I understand the problem and situation that the SCA-JML finds it self
      in.. I am the owner of the SCA_Singles group here on Yahoo and until
      just recently I was the owner of one of the original (if not
      original) mailing lists for armour creation..

      What can be done about spam is always one of the big things when you
      work with a number of users. All I can suggest is what we have done
      for the SCA singles and hope that it might give you some idea's, of
      course, you can take as much or as little of the suggestion as you
      would like :)

      Our first thing we did was add a bunch of moderators.. Initially I
      added 2, but since then we are now up to 4.. It helps to have that
      number looking after things.

      Second - We made it so that new members where moderated until we
      said - YES they are ok and made them full members. This way you dont
      get some one joining and then 6 months later they dump spam on you
      because they are still only a part time member until they have posted
      a number of messages..

      Beyond that there is not much more that can be done..
      If your worried about wanting to keep the group open and available to
      people interested I dont think it should be hard. Our list was (when
      I last checked) the largest SCA group on Yahoo and having a new
      person moderated for a short while should not impact to deeply.. If
      there is a chance you want to go this route, speak with the group
      them selves, they may be more for it then you think just so that they
      dont end up with an endless stream of " hardly 18 girls " or " animal
      farm sex fiends " ..

      Just a couple of cents :)
      Jason Silver
      Takeda Imakawa Shirou Yoshitaka

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Jacki Frederick wrote:
      >
      > > I agree. It looks like someone or multiple someones has found
      the SCA on
      > > Yahoo. Several other lists that I am on have been spammed to the
      XXX. And