Re: [SCA-JML] japanese feast gear question

  • Darcellena Hartmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2003
      Greetings!

      I just recently joined your list and saw your inquiry below regarding suitable Japanese feast gear. Question: Would porcelain wares have been suitable for your persona?

      One of the primary things I relish doing is hand-painting, genuine gilding, and lustering upon porcelains. People tell me I'm definitely the only person in my Kingdom and perhaps likely the entire Known World who's investigating and doing this.

      Porcelain and its decoration began in China. Depending upon time period, I think there might have been trade between China and Japan. I'd have to check my books.

      Just a possible alternative for you to consider?.....

      Best wishes for a successful search.

      Lady Darcellena Hartmann

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2003
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! I'm not exactly clear what you are looking for.
        There are the collection of lacquerware bowls used at zen temples.
        There are the stacked dishes used for lunch by officials,
        There are the eclectic collections of bowls used in kaiseki, &c.

        I just noticed the offer from the ceramicist. Kaiseki usually uses
        both lacquerware and pottery bowls. For example, the rice bowl and
        the soup bowl are both lacquerware, but a variety of other bowls
        are pottery.