Re: Question of garb information sources

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
      wrote:
      > makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:
      >

      > > Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Royall Tyler translation in
      > > hardcover for $12 on Amazon - and am meandering through it,
      though it
      > > will have to be put away for a couple of weeks as I'm moving.
      Again!

      > Whence this time?
      Oh, just down the road apiece to Oakland. Bigger apartment, better
      commute for Gaius, mine won't get too much worse. ;->

      Royall's is a good translation (though he didn't take my
      > advice and use "robe" instead of "cloak" to translate all those
      garments like
      > "hunting 'cloak'" and "court 'cloak'").
      The flow of the language appeals to me more than what I recall from
      trying the abridged Seidensticker edition. I am thankful for the
      copious notes and the "who's who" at the beginning of every chapter -
      otherwise keeping track of characters with ever changing titles would
      defeat me entirely.

      The whole forced affection thing, though! I'd probably whack our hero
      sharply across the nose with my fan if he shoved his way under the
      blinds. ;->

      Makiwara/Jehanne