Hitoe or Uchiki? Still getting my terms right...

  • china_lurkr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 7:47 AM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> >
      >Well, be careful. Hitoe are worn *under* something. Usually under
      >several somethings. You don't wear a hitoe alone, as they're unlined
      >and often nearly translucent -- at least summer models tend to be.
      >(Hitoe means, literally, "one-layer"). Actually, I'm trying to
      >understand what you're making.

      > Effingham

      I am trying to make the outer robes on a costume. I have made a red
      linen hakama & a white linen kosode...So if I understand this
      correctly, I now need a uchiki next on top of my kosode. I really
      like the Court Lady in every day wear fron the Heian Period.

      Well lets try this a bit backwards, with my choice of cloth. I had a
      friend that has recently moved & gave me yards of silk cloth (Yeap, I
      did a burn test on it). it is a very dark blue to a black with a thin
      pin stripe that repeats every 4 inches or so. What period would this
      cloth best fall under for a woman &/or a man? (If I can not use it I
      plan to make a set of japanese garb for my boyfriend.)

      Thanks-
      China