Re: [SCA-JML] Question of garb information sources

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      Rosemary Norwood wrote:

      > > Hmmm... is it possible that one of the lines is not marked as a "fold" (i.e.,
      > > half-pattern marker)? I've made thta mistake a few times. Kass is usually pretty
      > > good about this sort of thing.
      > >
      > It doesn't seem to be that way. Two different spots in the instructions
      > refer to the length being half what it should be.

      Oops? <G>

      > > I absolutely love exploring women's costumes.
      > >
      > > Ummm.... yeah. never mind. <G>
      > >
      > > Seriously (no, I seriously enjoy exploring....) ask away.
      > >

      > Ok ok! Can't resist such an offer from a gentleman. I'll get my
      > questions together for you.

      You know where to find me. <G>

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:

        > Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Royall Tyler translation in
        > hardcover for $12 on Amazon - and am meandering through it, though it
        > will have to be put away for a couple of weeks as I'm moving. Again!

        Whence this time? Royall's is a good translation (though he didn't take my
        advice and use "robe" instead of "cloak" to translate all those garments like
        "hunting 'cloak'" and "court 'cloak'").

        Effingham
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
          wrote:
          > makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:
          >

          > > Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Royall Tyler translation in
          > > hardcover for $12 on Amazon - and am meandering through it,
          though it
          > > will have to be put away for a couple of weeks as I'm moving.
          Again!

          > Whence this time?
          Oh, just down the road apiece to Oakland. Bigger apartment, better
          commute for Gaius, mine won't get too much worse. ;->

          Royall's is a good translation (though he didn't take my
          > advice and use "robe" instead of "cloak" to translate all those
          garments like
          > "hunting 'cloak'" and "court 'cloak'").
          The flow of the language appeals to me more than what I recall from
          trying the abridged Seidensticker edition. I am thankful for the
          copious notes and the "who's who" at the beginning of every chapter -
          otherwise keeping track of characters with ever changing titles would
          defeat me entirely.

          The whole forced affection thing, though! I'd probably whack our hero
          sharply across the nose with my fan if he shoved his way under the
          blinds. ;->

          Makiwara/Jehanne