Re: [SCA-JML] Now, time to sew the hitoe

  • Rosemary Norwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:21:24PM -0500, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      > china_lurkr wrote:

      > > Is it open at the arm pit (as a modern kimono, or is it
      > > fully attached to the body)? I was planing to make a Muromachi or
      > > Momoyama era hitoe since the material I plan to use is a dark blue
      > > silk with a thin beige pin stripe (and know that a solid color would
      > > have been more earlier period). Input & thoughts ?...
      > >

      > Well, be careful. Hitoe are worn *under* something. Usually under several
      > somethings. You don't wear a hitoe alone, as they're unlined and often nearly
      > translucent -- at least summer models tend to be. (Hitoe means, literally,
      > "one-layer"). Actually, I'm trying to understand what you're making.

      Does he posibly mean hitatare?
    • china_lurkr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> >
        >Well, be careful. Hitoe are worn *under* something. Usually under
        >several somethings. You don't wear a hitoe alone, as they're unlined
        >and often nearly translucent -- at least summer models tend to be.
        >(Hitoe means, literally, "one-layer"). Actually, I'm trying to
        >understand what you're making.

        > Effingham

        I am trying to make the outer robes on a costume. I have made a red
        linen hakama & a white linen kosode...So if I understand this
        correctly, I now need a uchiki next on top of my kosode. I really
        like the Court Lady in every day wear fron the Heian Period.

        Well lets try this a bit backwards, with my choice of cloth. I had a
        friend that has recently moved & gave me yards of silk cloth (Yeap, I
        did a burn test on it). it is a very dark blue to a black with a thin
        pin stripe that repeats every 4 inches or so. What period would this
        cloth best fall under for a woman &/or a man? (If I can not use it I
        plan to make a set of japanese garb for my boyfriend.)

        Thanks-
        China