Question of garb information sources

  • Matt L
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2003
      Are there any websites you know of giving information on female garb. I met
      a young lady this weekend who is interested in developing a japanese
      persona, and I wanted to help her find garbing information, and I will
      further need this information for my own lady who also plans to do japanese
      as soon as she is able.

      I would realy like to find more information about the full outfits worn as
      well as info on construction if it is possible, unfortunatly due to the
      fact that this is going to more than one person, some of whom (myself
      included) can not afford an extensive assortment of books at this time.

      on a bright note, I attended border raids, and though I did not find anyone
      from the mailing list, two people have asked me to help them find web
      resources including hooking them up for JML. we should hopefuly have a
      couple new members in our ranks shortly.

      Matt L
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2003
        On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Matt L wrote:

        > Are there any websites you know of giving information on female garb. I met
        > a young lady this weekend who is interested in developing a japanese
        > persona, and I wanted to help her find garbing information, and I will
        > further need this information for my own lady who also plans to do japanese
        > as soon as she is able.

        The best two are the Costume Museum (www.iz2.or.jp) and Reconstructing
        History (www.reconstructinghistory.com).

        Beyond that, I would have to defer to the ladies on the list, who might
        have good suggestions.

        > I would realy like to find more information about the full outfits worn as
        > well as info on construction if it is possible, unfortunatly due to the
        > fact that this is going to more than one person, some of whom (myself
        > included) can not afford an extensive assortment of books at this time.

        Which 'full outfits'? What period? Heian, Kamakura, Muromachi, or
        Momoyama?

        > on a bright note, I attended border raids, and though I did not find anyone
        > from the mailing list, two people have asked me to help them find web
        > resources including hooking them up for JML. we should hopefuly have a
        > couple new members in our ranks shortly.

        Yeah!

        Ei! Ei! Oooohhhhhh! ;-)

        -Ii
      • Rosemary Norwood
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2003
          On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 02:15:03AM -0800, Ii Saburou wrote:
          > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Matt L wrote:
          >
          > > Are there any websites you know of giving information on female garb. I met
          > > a young lady this weekend who is interested in developing a japanese
          > > persona, and I wanted to help her find garbing information, and I will
          > > further need this information for my own lady who also plans to do japanese
          > > as soon as she is able.
          >
          > The best two are the Costume Museum (www.iz2.or.jp) and Reconstructing
          > History (www.reconstructinghistory.com).
          >
          > Beyond that, I would have to defer to the ladies on the list, who might
          > have good suggestions.

          These are exactally what I use in combination for myself, my husband and
          my toddler. Unfortunately there are some errors in the patterns at
          www.reconstructinghistory.com, I've been meaning to detail them and
          forward them to Kass. Primarily the collar length needs to be doubled on
          the basic Kosode. The costume museum is an excellent source and I've
          made a number of outfits based on the designs there - once you know how
          to make the basic garments you can work nearly anything out from the
          great illustrations at the Costume Museum.
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/ will take you straight to the
          English translation.

          > > I would realy like to find more information about the full outfits worn as
          > > well as info on construction if it is possible, unfortunatly due to the
          > > fact that this is going to more than one person, some of whom (myself
          > > included) can not afford an extensive assortment of books at this time.

          There really aren't a lot of books available that aren't expensive. Or
          in Japanese. Or useful to beginners.

          I find costume museum + Effingham dono's website explain most things for
          male garb. I have a bunch of questions about female garb that I've been
          meaning to detail to the list before Pennsic, but when I can find time
          to pull myself away from the sewing machine and Shire events. :}

          Perhaps for now they could bounce questions off the list? There's very
          little available in extensive detail for women's garb. I'm trying to
          collect info as I figure outfits out, but my knowledge is nothing
          compared to what is available on this list. Hopefully post-Pennsic I can
          get those details and my children's garb hints up and available.

          > > on a bright note, I attended border raids, and though I did not find anyone
          > > from the mailing list, two people have asked me to help them find web
          > > resources including hooking them up for JML. we should hopefuly have a
          > > couple new members in our ranks shortly.
          >
          > Yeah!

          Excellent! More is more!

          Tatsu
          Yomada no Tatsutoshime
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
            Rosemary Norwood wrote:

            > These are exactally what I use in combination for myself, my husband and
            > my toddler. Unfortunately there are some errors in the patterns at
            > www.reconstructinghistory.com, I've been meaning to detail them and
            > forward them to Kass. Primarily the collar length needs to be doubled on
            > the basic Kosode.

            Hmmm... is it possible that one of the lines is not marked as a "fold" (i.e.,
            half-pattern marker)? I've made thta mistake a few times. Kass is usually pretty
            good about this sort of thing.

            > I find costume museum + Effingham dono's website explain most things for
            > male garb. I have a bunch of questions about female garb that I've been
            > meaning to detail to the list before Pennsic, but when I can find time
            > to pull myself away from the sewing machine and Shire events. :}

            Feel free to ask.

            I absolutely love exploring women's costumes.

            Ummm.... yeah. never mind. <G>

            Seriously (no, I seriously enjoy exploring....) ask away.

            Effingham
          • Rosemary Norwood
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
              On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:33:42PM -0500, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
              > Rosemary Norwood wrote:
              >
              > > These are exactally what I use in combination for myself, my husband and
              > > my toddler. Unfortunately there are some errors in the patterns at
              > > www.reconstructinghistory.com, I've been meaning to detail them and
              > > forward them to Kass. Primarily the collar length needs to be doubled on
              > > the basic Kosode.
              >
              > Hmmm... is it possible that one of the lines is not marked as a "fold" (i.e.,
              > half-pattern marker)? I've made thta mistake a few times. Kass is usually pretty
              > good about this sort of thing.

              It doesn't seem to be that way. Two different spots in the instructions
              refer to the length being half what it should be.

              > > I find costume museum + Effingham dono's website explain most things for
              > > male garb. I have a bunch of questions about female garb that I've been
              > > meaning to detail to the list before Pennsic, but when I can find time
              > > to pull myself away from the sewing machine and Shire events. :}
              > >

              > Feel free to ask.
              >
              > I absolutely love exploring women's costumes.
              >
              > Ummm.... yeah. never mind. <G>
              >
              > Seriously (no, I seriously enjoy exploring....) ask away.

              Ok ok! Can't resist such an offer from a gentleman. I'll get my
              questions together for you.

              > Effingham

            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
                wrote:
                > I absolutely love exploring women's costumes.
                >
                > Ummm.... yeah. never mind. <G>
                >
                > Seriously (no, I seriously enjoy exploring....) ask away.

                Hah, you and that Genji fellow. ;->

                Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Royall Tyler translation in
                hardcover for $12 on Amazon - and am meandering through it, though it
                will have to be put away for a couple of weeks as I'm moving. Again!

                Makiwara who is sometimes Jehanne
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Rosemary Norwood wrote:

                  > > Hmmm... is it possible that one of the lines is not marked as a "fold" (i.e.,
                  > > half-pattern marker)? I've made thta mistake a few times. Kass is usually pretty
                  > > good about this sort of thing.
                  > >
                  > It doesn't seem to be that way. Two different spots in the instructions
                  > refer to the length being half what it should be.

                  Oops? <G>

                  > > I absolutely love exploring women's costumes.
                  > >
                  > > Ummm.... yeah. never mind. <G>
                  > >
                  > > Seriously (no, I seriously enjoy exploring....) ask away.
                  > >

                  > Ok ok! Can't resist such an offer from a gentleman. I'll get my
                  > questions together for you.

                  You know where to find me. <G>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                    makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:

                    > Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Royall Tyler translation in
                    > hardcover for $12 on Amazon - and am meandering through it, though it
                    > will have to be put away for a couple of weeks as I'm moving. Again!

                    Whence this time? Royall's is a good translation (though he didn't take my
                    advice and use "robe" instead of "cloak" to translate all those garments like
                    "hunting 'cloak'" and "court 'cloak'").

                    Effingham
                  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                      wrote:
                      > makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:
                      >

                      > > Speaking of which, I got a copy of the Royall Tyler translation in
                      > > hardcover for $12 on Amazon - and am meandering through it,
                      though it
                      > > will have to be put away for a couple of weeks as I'm moving.
                      Again!

                      > Whence this time?
                      Oh, just down the road apiece to Oakland. Bigger apartment, better
                      commute for Gaius, mine won't get too much worse. ;->

                      Royall's is a good translation (though he didn't take my
                      > advice and use "robe" instead of "cloak" to translate all those
                      garments like
                      > "hunting 'cloak'" and "court 'cloak'").
                      The flow of the language appeals to me more than what I recall from
                      trying the abridged Seidensticker edition. I am thankful for the
                      copious notes and the "who's who" at the beginning of every chapter -
                      otherwise keeping track of characters with ever changing titles would
                      defeat me entirely.

                      The whole forced affection thing, though! I'd probably whack our hero
                      sharply across the nose with my fan if he shoved his way under the
                      blinds. ;->

                      Makiwara/Jehanne