Re: [SCA-JML] The perils of being Edward

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2003
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! The problem with universal "higher education" is
      that it is universal. This means that a lot of college professors are
      spending the bulk of their time trying to teach or rather pretending to
      teach people who would have been happier back in 1920 when they could
      have quite school at grade eight and gone to work in the mill somewhere.

      Let's see. What are you counting as dictionaries? Lots of book titles in
      Japan end with the kanji for dictionary. Are you counting all of those, or
      just the ones that really are dictionaries? I have at least more or less
      nine dictionaries involving Japan rattling around this office not counting
      the electronic ones. But if I start counting things with "jiten" in their
      title then the count really starts going up. I then start tossing in
      "saijiki" well, you know what that can lead to.

      As for books. I weigh mine on truck scales. I have several tons of the things.
      People walk into my office and wrinkle their noses at my books and make snide
      remarks to the effect of "do you read all those books". I don't have the guts
      to tell them that all they are seeing are my traveling books and books I've
      been reveiwing for textbook adoption. I don't even have all my sources for
      my pamphlet dug out of storage.