Re: [SCA-JML] SCA No-Dachi

  • Arthur Raymond
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2003
      Greetings!

      I have used a No-Dachi in SCA combat for some years now. Mine is 6' long and
      uses the ricasso rules of the Middle Kingdom to have a much longer grip than
      the normal 18" allows. This is more of a personal choice than any attempt to
      copy a particular period sword. It functions as a Great Sword with only one
      cutting edge. When building I concentrate on light weight and making sure
      that I can feel which edge has the blade, even in gauntlets. A thrusting tip
      is also pretty standard. So far I have found it works well in single combat
      and makes for enjoyable fights.

      In service,
      Togashi Ichiro, Niban of Clan Genji