RE: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 1046 re japanese armor among other things.

  • Matt L
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2003
      <snip>

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:08:44 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
      From: "Chuck Howell" <excel_saga_is_yummy@...>
      Subject: Re: question of equipiment seen in many samurai pictures

      I'm not sure how true this may be or not, but the ring at the hip looks
      very similar to a Blood Stone, which was a small ring-shaped stone that,
      from what I hear, was used by foot soldiers in the west to sharpen their
      swords and clean them. I make no claims to know for sure what it is, but I
      do know that that is what it looks like. Please don't think me stupid ^_^
      Hope this was helpful

      C. Howell

      I believe current methods of cleaning a japanese sword with ricepaper, and
      rice powder, then oiling it with clove ouil do actualy date back to period
      (atleast late perriod) though I could be wrong.
      <snip>

      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:14:27 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
      From: "Chuck Howell" <excel_saga_is_yummy@...>

      Date-dono,

      Thank you. I noted that after I sent my suggestion that others said
      what it was. Gomen. At any rate, I was glad to see that it was explained,
      as
      I, myself, had wondered what the object was. Well then, while I'm here,
      does
      anyone know where to obtain SCA Legal Japanese armor? I've not been able to
      find any yet. Do keep in touch.

      Regards,
      Chuck Howell

      <snip> funny you should ask... if I am not mistaken date is one who makes
      kydex armor... though I could be mixing him up with another... though if
      you are interested in making suitable armor, clan yamikura <please forgive
      the bad spelling> has some paterns and ideas for retainers armor on thier
      site, and edward of effingham has an exelent website or three on the
      subject of armor construction as well as garb, and more. unfortunatly I do
      nothave the URL's close at hand, though I am sure any number of others
      could post them, and maybe more that I do not know of off hand. even for a
      beginner armorer, many of the japanese armors are remarkably easy to make
      to SCA combat grade... I believe the two hardest parts of the armor to make
      are the basic clamshell gauntlets so you can use katana or yari, and the
      kabuto. though I believe a retainers "three plate helmet" would be fairly
      easily adapted from a patern for a sallet, though I am personaly in need of
      finding an armorer familier with the helmet who might be able to give me
      some recomendations for the dimintions of the side plates so I can reduce
      the trial and error aspect of working out my patterns.

      gots to go for now. real life is turning my life upside down
      Matt L
      vulpine reach meridies