Choosing a name....yet again!

  • Hina no Banpaia
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a name and was wondering if it
      would be inappropriate to use my Obaa-san's maiden name (Furokawa)

      --Caitlin
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003

        >I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a name and was wondering if it
        >would be inappropriate to use my Obaa-san's maiden name (Furokawa)

        Are you sure that it was Furokawa and Furukawa? Furukawa is much more
        likely to a surname than is Furokawa. A complication is that Jefferey
        Mass states in an article on Japanese names that during the middle
        ages women went by their clan names and not by surnames. This is
        something of a complication as either is unlikely to be a clan name.
        The number of clan names was rather limited.

      • Hina no Banpaia
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003
          Yup, it was Furokawa..Any suggestions on how to choose a name?

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > Are you sure that it was Furokawa and Furukawa? Furukawa is much
          more
          > likely to a surname than is Furokawa. A complication is that
          Jefferey
          > Mass states in an article on Japanese names that during the middle
          > ages women went by their clan names and not by surnames. This is
          > something of a complication as either is unlikely to be a clan
          name.
          > The number of clan names was rather limited.
          > --
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar
          >
          > +------------------------------------------------------------------
          ----+
          > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
          CoS |
          > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
          Est |
          > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
          > +------------------------------------------------------------------
          ----+
          > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically
          routed to |
          > | the trash by my email
          filters. |
          ----+
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003

            Greetings from Solveig! Furokawa is rather unusual. Regardless, what you
            need to do first is decide upon a time period and a general walk of life.
            Names varied considerably based on those two things.