Re: [SCA-JML] Kesho-Mawashi

  • iroadkilli@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      In a message dated 6/1/03 11:49:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rjb@... writes:

      > Just how heavy is mawashi fabric anyway? Especially the nice silk ones.
      > Is it similar in weight to cotton broadcloth? Bridal satin, or taffetta?

      Heavy and thick fabric, I never got to wear one of the silk ones but the
      cotton ones looked and felt about like a firehose. heavy cotton canvas. you
      have to remember that your going to have large heavy people trying to lift and
      tip other large heavy people by this. I would also make them the full 10 yards
      long, yes it wraps around most people about 9 times but that is what builds
      the mawashi up into a good substantial handhold.

      If it was me, I would let people make their own and make up a few extra out
      of a white cotton denim or canvas to let anyone that stumbles into it at the
      last minute give it a try, also makes for much simpler care.

      Paul