Re: [SCA-JML] Mawashi

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003

      >The size I find for the mawashi is ten yards long by two feet wide, folded in
      >four then wrapped around waist and groin, While silk in compatition,
      >practice mawashi are made of cotton and worn without the sagari,
      >short string skirt composed of starch stiffened lenghts of silk.

      I would not characterize the sagari as a skirt. It appears to be more of
      a sacredotal decoration. Essentially, the conceit of modern sumo in particular
      is that the rikishi are demigods that is that they are in a sense kami. They
      are decorated in a manner reminiscent of shrines and Shintoh sacred objects.
      Thus, I view the sagari in this manner.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
        Skirt was what Jesse Takamiyama called it.