Re: [SCA-JML] Mawashi

  • iroadkilli@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
      The size I find for the mawashi is ten yards long by two feet wide, folded in
      four then wrapped around waist and groin, While silk in compatition,
      practice mawashi are made of cotton and worn without the sagari, short string skirt
      composed of starch stiffened lenghts of silk.

    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003

        >The size I find for the mawashi is ten yards long by two feet wide, folded in
        >four then wrapped around waist and groin, While silk in compatition,
        >practice mawashi are made of cotton and worn without the sagari,
        >short string skirt composed of starch stiffened lenghts of silk.

        I would not characterize the sagari as a skirt. It appears to be more of
        a sacredotal decoration. Essentially, the conceit of modern sumo in particular
        is that the rikishi are demigods that is that they are in a sense kami. They
        are decorated in a manner reminiscent of shrines and Shintoh sacred objects.
        Thus, I view the sagari in this manner.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
          Skirt was what Jesse Takamiyama called it.