FW: [SCA-JML] More book reccomendations

  • Eric Munson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003

      054220875/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7037262-0217615?v=glance&s=books
      If you only get one book, I'd say try this one, especially at the
      current price. It's a wonderful mix of easy-to-follow recipes and
      historical information organized by food item. If you follow it from
      beginning to end, your knowledge builds, just like taking a course in
      Japanese cooking. The author apparently lives in Philadelphia and I've
      heard her speak on "A Cooks Table" (NPR cooking show out of Phila... I
      have no idea whether other NPR stations get it) where she explained very
      eloquently that Japanese cooking is a cuisine based on cooking with
      water, as opposed to most other world cuisines that use oil as the
      primary cooking base. I would love to study under her. If only all
      Japanese arts could have such a wonderful spokesperson!

      Tsuji, Shizuo. _Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art_
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0870113992/qid=1054220217/sr=2-2/
      ref=sr_2_2/002-7037262-0217615
      Nice thick book with a nice array of recipes from basic to more
      involved. Unfortunately it seems to score lower on the "wow, it's got
      everything" scale than Shimbo when I look for recipes for specific
      traditional dishes. However I highly recommend it for its organization
      and general basic recipes; in particular I like the dressings for thick
      aemono and thin sunomono and grilling glazes (yakitori, yakidofu).

      I don't have the following books and would love to hear feedback from
      anyone who does:

      Suzuki, Tokiko. _Japanese Homestyle Cooking_
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/4889960368/ref=pd_sim_book
      s_1/002-7037262-0217615?v=glance&s=books
      Suzuki, Tokiko. _The Essentials of Japanese Cooking_
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0870409506/ref=pd_bxgy_tex
      t_1/002-7037262-0217615?v=glance&s=books&st=*

      Yamada-dono, you are certainly welcome to come peruse my cookbooks any
      time!

      Happy cooking!
      Matsuyama-hime, Fujiwara no Aki-ame (AnneLiese)

      +