Re: [SCA-JML] Thank you, or should I say, Domo Arigato!

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! There are books about Japanese art which divide
      paintings into different styles from different periods. I suggest using
      photocopies of important sections from such a book.

      Whether or not to make a copy depends on the contest rules. This is one
      of the reasons that I hate some sets of judging standards. Some contests
      give out points for "creativity" which penalizes exact copies at the
      expense of stuff which may bear no relationship to the time and place
      the work is supposed to be coming from. I think that you should forget
      about the judging standards entirely and simply try to leach yourself
      how to draw sumie pictures based on a single historical Japanese style.
      Once you have got that one style down, then move onto another. Further,
      if you are interested in doing this stuff well, then you should first
      try to copy extant sumie paintings. Rote copying is a major teaching and
      learning technique in Japan. By copying you will be doing what a Japanese
      teacher would have you do.