pennsic mzazen

  • P. J. Westervelt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27 3:00 PM
      I was unsure of where to ask this, and this group seemed like a good start.

      Is anyone aware of any zazen sitting groups that take place at Pennsic?

      If not, wold anyone be interested in starting one?

      Petey

      "You must BE the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27 5:34 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! I do not know of a zazen group at Pennsic.
        Are you interested in Tendai, Rinzai, or Soutou?

      • Eric Munson
        Message 3 of 10 , May 28 5:54 AM
          I am not aware of any. Although I won't be there this year, I strongly
          encourage you to start one. I am sure it would attract many interested
          people. I can think of one or two gentles who could be interested in
          assisting you as well.

          - mokurai

        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 10 , May 28 2:23 PM
            I have never done actual zazen in a group--just private stuff. I would
            love to assist with something like this if you don't mind a complete
            neophyte ;)

            -Ii

            On Wed, 28 May 2003, Eric Munson wrote:

            > I am not aware of any. Although I won't be there this year, I strongly
            > encourage you to start one. I am sure it would attract many interested
            > people. I can think of one or two gentles who could be interested in
            > assisting you as well.
            >
            > - mokurai

          • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
            Message 5 of 10 , May 28 3:00 PM
              I would like to participate also in group zazen, if I can indeed make
              it to Pennsic this year...I think it sounds great!

              Date Saburou Yukiie
              Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
              http://www.kabutographics.com
              kabuto@...

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
              > I have never done actual zazen in a group--just private stuff. I would
              > love to assist with something like this if you don't mind a complete
              > neophyte ;)
            • Donald J. Luby
              Message 6 of 10 , May 28 10:07 PM
                Hey Date

                I have blank auth forms, to renew you before Pennsic. If you send me
                your present mailing address, I'll send you a blank form to fill out.
                Since it's for an AEthelmearc auth, we'll need to put down an
                AEthelmearc address on the form for you - I'd suggest either my place
                or Ogami's; it doesn't really matter which, but whichever you choose is
                the address your 'real' auth card will be sent to, and it'll have to be
                sent of to you from there.

                Koredono
              • Donald J. Luby
                Message 7 of 10 , May 28 11:00 PM
                  Please ignore - that was supposed to be a private msg - my bad
                • Eric Munson
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 29 9:28 AM
                    Hmmm... Not sure if this relates to the question but Solveig's e-mail
                    prompted my thinking into this direction...

                    IMHO, for purposes of starting a sitting group at war, the tradition is
                    mostly irrelevant. The focus should be on a simple meditation gathering
                    and assume a novice level of understanding on the part of the
                    participants with some basic how-to instructions at the beginning. I
                    just feel it should be inclusive and helpful to anyone, not just us
                    Japanese types, and not bogged down by interpretative details (no
                    fingers, just the moon, thank you ^_^). That is unless we have a real
                    bonafide roshi in our midst, in which case, it would be his/her
                    tradition, of course.

                    Now then, perhaps some introductory discussion of the schools and styles
                    could be included, or there could be a related class to discuss this and
                    then attendees of that class could be invited to come to zazen after, or
                    the following morning, etc.

                    Just my 2 sen. If I am garbled, please forgive me, it is a weird week
                    here.

                    - mokurai

                    PS - BTW, I am not aware that Tendai is considered Zen. I know it was
                    not in period, though many of the early Zen masters in Japan began in
                    that school.

                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 29 5:48 PM

                      I suggest Soutou style zazen as it is reduced to the most basic.

                    • pjwestervelt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Thank you all for your input.

                        I am willing to "run" the sitting, though I am also a bit of a
                        novice. I agree that if there is no Roshi, and it is just a
                        layman's group, It should be kept simple. Soto would probably be
                        better. There is little sense in assigning koans when there is no
                        one there to receive the answers or perform dokuson.

                        So, I would guess there would be no stick and no "service". Though
                        a discussion period before and after could be good. A general
                        exhange of ideas as opposed to a sermon.

                        I would not assume to limit it only to japanese personas. It would
                        be way for people who normally practice to be able to practice with
                        a temporary sangha while at Pennsic.

                        Though, I guess to couch it as a class, there would need to be some
                        minor instruction at the beginning of the period.

                        To those who have expressed interest, would it be beneficial to
                        start a new yahoo group to hash this all out?

                        Peter