So8urce - info request - combat yumi

  • Matt L
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2003
      I am interested in using a yumi for a combat bow, BUT I have only been able
      to find one source for fiberglas yumis, and they cost over $300. I intend
      to shoot the new baldar blunts with fiberglas shafts... perhapse fletched
      with a couple fluflu's in adition to the ABD to retain appearance of a
      traditional ya. however I run into two problems while trying to find a
      suitable bow. first is the cost at the single source i was able to find,
      and second is knowing that my draw length with western bow already exceeds
      28" and a yumi draws further than a western bow... what would the
      traditional archers of the list recomend for dealing with this problem.
      local combat archers have reccomended using a drawing form that brings the
      nock roughly to the chest, ane when I shot at the combat archery class my
      shire held, I did fairly well considering I am only a moderately skilled
      paperpuncher. (missing few shots, and placing the majority in the center of
      the torso) I have to replace my combat grade bow as it is due to it's
      having been stolen, and my reliuctance to take a good quality laminated
      recurve on the field. I am hoping to have my combat archery gear ready by
      fall so I can be practiced and ready for next years war season.

      any sourcs, and information would be greatly apreciated

      Matt L
      vulpine reach, meridies
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2003
        On a similar note... I am looking for anyone who might have an unuseable
        yumi--I need one for court garb but cannot yet afford to get one to shoot
        with. It was suggested that there might be people with yumi that are no
        longer useable due to slight cracks, bending in the wrong place, etc. If
        so, please let me know.

        -Ii

        On Thu, 22 May 2003, Matt L wrote:

        > I am interested in using a yumi for a combat bow, BUT I have only been able
        > to find one source for fiberglas yumis, and they cost over $300. I intend
        > to shoot the new baldar blunts with fiberglas shafts... perhapse fletched
        > with a couple fluflu's in adition to the ABD to retain appearance of a
        > traditional ya. however I run into two problems while trying to find a
        > suitable bow. first is the cost at the single source i was able to find,
        > and second is knowing that my draw length with western bow already exceeds
        > 28" and a yumi draws further than a western bow... what would the
        > traditional archers of the list recomend for dealing with this problem.
        > local combat archers have reccomended using a drawing form that brings the
        > nock roughly to the chest, ane when I shot at the combat archery class my
        > shire held, I did fairly well considering I am only a moderately skilled
        > paperpuncher. (missing few shots, and placing the majority in the center of
        > the torso) I have to replace my combat grade bow as it is due to it's
        > having been stolen, and my reliuctance to take a good quality laminated
        > recurve on the field. I am hoping to have my combat archery gear ready by
        > fall so I can be practiced and ready for next years war season.
        >
        > any sourcs, and information would be greatly apreciated
        >
        > Matt L
        > vulpine reach, meridies

      • Donald J. Luby
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2003
          On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 04:51 PM, Matt L wrote:

          > I am interested in using a yumi for a combat bow, BUT I have only been
          > able to find one source for fiberglas yumis, and they cost over $300.
          > I intend to shoot the new baldar blunts with fiberglas shafts...
          > perhapse fletched with a couple fluflu's in adition to the ABD to
          > retain appearance of a traditional ya. however I run into two problems
          > while trying to find a suitable bow. first is the cost at the single
          > source i was able to find, and second is knowing that my draw length
          > with western bow already exceeds 28" and a yumi draws further than a
          > western bow... what would the traditional archers of the list recomend
          > for dealing with this problem.

          The bow solution we (Yama Kaminari) have found was to get Yumi (bowyer
          from Toronto who makes yumi and other traditonal styles of bow) to make
          scaled-down 'combat' yumi for us, so that it has 30# of pull at a 28"
          draw, the maximum for SCA use with fibreglass shafts. I'm unsure of
          his present prices (I bought his first two some years ago, and haven't
          priced them since), but I would suspect they run in the $250 - $300
          range. Mind you, that's for a unique hand-made bow completely out of
          wood (it's a laminate, and I know there's bamboo, maybe hickory too?),
          so that's not really expensive at all. The hard part is actually
          *getting* one - I don't think he has any web presence, and the only
          event I've ever seen him at is Pennsic. You still need to draw 'only'
          28", but it's not that easy to overdraw one of Yumi's bows, and there's
          rarely enough time in combat to really worry about going to a 'full'
          draw anyway.

          As for APDs and blunts, a few caveats:

          If by 'new baldar blunts' you mean the translucent egg-shaped ones (as
          opposed to the black hemisphere's mounted on hard plastic), those are
          not legal in AEthelmearc, and I've been led to believe they will soon
          (are now?) be illegal society-wide, because of safety issues (they
          penetrate bar grills anywhere from 1" up to having the whole head go
          through!).

          The Asgard APDs (also by Baldar) look really cool, but because of how
          yumi draw as opposed to European bows, I think the nock might be 90
          degrees off; I'll have to look into that.

          For our APDs and heads, we just use rods of high-density plastic: the
          heads are covered in closed-cell foam, and the APDs are cut to
          approximately a cone, with a nock cut in the back. They work fairly
          well, and are much cheaper than buying from Baldar (blunts and APDs
          cost ~$2 and ~$.50 resp., and the materials to make same from UMHW and
          Sil-o-Flex cost ~$0.25 and ~$0.15 resp.)

          More info can be found on http://www.combat-archery.com/, the web page
          for the Society Combat Archery Marshal.

          > local combat archers have reccomended using a drawing form that brings
          > the nock roughly to the chest, ane when I shot at the combat archery
          > class my shire held, I did fairly well considering I am only a
          > moderately skilled paperpuncher. (missing few shots, and placing the
          > majority in the center of the torso) I have to replace my combat grade
          > bow as it is due to it's having been stolen, and my reliuctance to
          > take a good quality laminated recurve on the field. I am hoping to
          > have my combat archery gear ready by fall so I can be practiced and
          > ready for next years war season.
          >
          > any sourcs, and information would be greatly apreciated
          >
          > Matt L
          > vulpine reach, meridies

          Sir Koredono

          -------
          Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no
          Koredono, KSCA
          djl@...
          Yama-kaminari-ryu
          Pittsburgh, PA Debatable Lands,
          AEthelmearc
        • Marko Peussa
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2003
            Try locating kyudo clubs near you, they'll most certainly have warped
            fiberglass yumis around. These are no good for kyudo but ok for SCA combat
            archery. You should get them cheap, say $50 or less.

            Personally, I use my regular (mulberry tree/ carbon fibre) kyudo bow for SCA
            combat archery when I do it. The short draw lenght is a pain in the...

            Regards,

            Klaus

            > I am interested in using a yumi for a combat bow, BUT I have only been
            able
            > to find one source for fiberglas yumis, and they cost over $300. I intend
            > to shoot the new baldar blunts with fiberglas shafts... perhapse fletched
            > with a couple fluflu's in adition to the ABD to retain appearance of a
            > traditional ya. however I run into two problems while trying to find a
            > suitable bow. first is the cost at the single source i was able to find,
            > and second is knowing that my draw length with western bow already exceeds
            > 28" and a yumi draws further than a western bow... what would the
            > traditional archers of the list recomend for dealing with this problem.
            > local combat archers have reccomended using a drawing form that brings the
            > nock roughly to the chest, ane when I shot at the combat archery class my
            > shire held, I did fairly well considering I am only a moderately skilled
            > paperpuncher. (missing few shots, and placing the majority in the center
            of
            > the torso) I have to replace my combat grade bow as it is due to it's
            > having been stolen, and my reliuctance to take a good quality laminated
            > recurve on the field. I am hoping to have my combat archery gear ready by
            > fall so I can be practiced and ready for next years war season.
            >
            > any sourcs, and information would be greatly apreciated
            >
            > Matt L
            > vulpine reach, meridies

          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005

              >I am interested in using a yumi for a combat bow, BUT I have only been able
              >to find one source for fiberglas yumis, and they cost over $300.

              Consider buying a combat yumi from Yumi (Yaap Koppendreyer) at Pennsic.
              They cost about the same and you may have to pre-order yours, but they
              are made out of bamboo and are generlaly spiffier.

              | trash by my email filters. |