Re: Local contacts?

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4 10:34 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "genevra1676" <genevra1676@j...>
      wrote:
      > How difficult is it to print your own patterns on material (and
      where
      > do I find appropriate patterns)?

      Greetings,
      In answer to your question, not that difficult. I did my first
      Japanese for West Kingdom Twelfth Night this year (it's on my website
      at www.geocities.com/wodeford - still under construction, so if you
      find any glitches, let me know!). As I couldn't find linoleum blocks
      at the local craft store, I ended up with a sheet of Flexi-foam (it's
      that stuff that has somewhat replaced felt for kids crafts), drew a
      ginko leaf design on it, cut it out with scissors and glued it to a
      wood block. I used Createx white fabric paint and a little water,
      applying paint to the block with a roller. The printing was done on
      silk twill from Dharma Trading, and heat set with an iron. (It came
      so well, I recycled the block and stamped heraldic sunbursts on the
      cotton sheeting curtains we use in our pavilion.)

      I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
      there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
      "Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
      (Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
      (Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
      give you ideas.

      Good luck,
      Makiwara no Yetsuko
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 16 , May 5 12:57 AM
        Noble Cousins!

        Greeting from Solveig!

        >I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
        >there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
        >"Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
        >(Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
        >(Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
        >give you ideas.

        Please, please, please, do not rely upon the Matsuya Piece Goods
        Store kamon catalogue. You should understand what this thing is.
        In the nineteen century, the emperor granted all Japanese the
        right to have kamon. So, everyone went out and ordered kimonp with
        kamon on them. Matsuya put together a pattern book for this purpose.
        It has no historical significance unless you are interested in the
        Meiji Restoration.

        For one thing, circles surounding base patterns were rare before 1600.
        They are pretty much stereotypical today.

      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 16 , May 5 5:31 PM

          > Please, please, please, do not rely upon the Matsuya Piece Goods
          > Store kamon catalogue.
          Whoops! How very Sears And Roebuck of them. Good to know!

          Thanks,
          Makiwara
        • sean ibanez
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5 10:13 PM
            YOu can find linoleum blocks at your local fine arts store, or you can ordel from Dick Blick(s?) art supply online, or Jerry's Artorama, or at Daniel SMiths' online. Also checkout Speedball, if they're online. They're the most common producers of lilo blocks that I know of, and they make a different lino block that's softer (abnd not actually linoleum). Irobe Saburo Yoriie

            makiwara_no_yetsuko <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...> wrote:--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "genevra1676" <genevra1676@j...>
            wrote:
            > How difficult is it to print your own patterns on material (and
            where
            > do I find appropriate patterns)?

            Greetings,
            In answer to your question, not that difficult. I did my first
            Japanese for West Kingdom Twelfth Night this year (it's on my website
            at www.geocities.com/wodeford - still under construction, so if you
            find any glitches, let me know!). As I couldn't find linoleum blocks
            at the local craft store, I ended up with a sheet of Flexi-foam (it's
            that stuff that has somewhat replaced felt for kids crafts), drew a
            ginko leaf design on it, cut it out with scissors and glued it to a
            wood block. I used Createx white fabric paint and a little water,
            applying paint to the block with a roller. The printing was done on
            silk twill from Dharma Trading, and heat set with an iron. (It came
            so well, I recycled the block and stamped heraldic sunbursts on the
            cotton sheeting curtains we use in our pavilion.)

            I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
            there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
            "Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
            (Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
            (Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
            give you ideas.

            Good luck,
            Makiwara no Yetsuko

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor