[SCA-JML] Re: Newbie Questions

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2003

      >I got a book in the mail yesterday about traditional Japanese
      >hairstyles (huzzah eBay)--don't know the name, as it is all in
      >Japanese. But it does have dates in it, and so does confirm what
      >people have told me so far--namely that the majority of updos didn't
      >appear until well after the end of SCA period. The couple that the
      >book indicated were pre-1650 I didn't particularly care for, so it
      >looks like the long ponytail is the best way to go. Fortunately my
      >hair is naturally long and black, but it is decidedly NOT straight.
      >Since I don't know if I want to spend an hour or more before events
      >trying to blowdry my hair straight, does anyone know of someplace
      >where one can find a wig that doesn't look too fake yet won't cost an
      >arm & a leg?

      Very very few Japanese have hair that is actually straight. Most have
      slightly wavy hair. I know Japanese who have tightly curly hair. I
      even know a Japanese with brown hair and I have seen Japanese albinos.

      Japan being monogenetic is a modern myth.

      > > You should consider the basic function of geta. They are for:
      >> going to the toilet, going to the bath, and walking through
      >> the muck during rainy season. A few groups are generally
      >> associated with the things at other times such as certain monks.
      >>
      >So would it be a safe bet to get a pair of geta to wear outdoors
      >(particularly at Pennsic) and a pair of zori to wear at indoor events
      >(since most event floors aren't covered with clean tatami mats)?

      Technically, zouri are outdoor shoes. You wear other shoes indoors and
      you never wear shoes on tatami. Basic rule of shoe usage in Japan,
      everytime you change level, you change footwear. Baths and toilets
      are either elevated or depressed with respect to the hall and have
      toilet shoes waiting for you inside. You wear slippers or other
      shoes in hallways, and you wear tabi or socks on tatami.

      I can guarantee that zouri are worn outdoors. One of their main features
      is that they have flat bottoms as opposed to geta which are elevated.
      Incidentally, although they are now generally made out of other materials,
      the kanji for writing the word indicates that they were originally made
      from straw or similar vegitable material.

      >Not to be argumentative, but there are also plenty of people who do
      >post-1600 (but generally pre-1650) in a historically accurate fashion-
      >-namely the numerous folk who do Cavalier garb and persona. My lord,
      >for example, is a French falconer from ca. 1625, and he can document
      >his garb better than many people who do earlier period stuff. And
      >I'd certainly rather stand next to someone doing post-1600 Cavalier
      >well than someone who throws a T-tunic over a pair of sweatpants and
      >thinks they're period.

      Baron El of the Two Knives insists that the cutoff IS 1650, but the
      documents do say 1600. Since there are lots of anti-Asians in the
      Society, it is best to be clearly pre 17th century.