Re: [SCA-JML] First Post! a few amor questions

  • Don Luby
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2003
      On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:

      > greetings fellow anachronists!
      > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive been
      > going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events ago i
      > saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have always
      > been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be an
      > injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
      > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the most
      > accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want to go
      > with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu bujinkan,
      > a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja persona. but of
      > course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am going to pretend to
      > be a samurai. so here are my questions
      >
      > 1. i prefer to dodge blows rather than block them, but in the only
      > armor i've fought in, late 16th european plate, there was no
      > possibility for this. plus i am a bit on the large side of the size
      > scale, what pattern of do should i use?

      Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'large side of the size scale',
      but a number of the fighters in Yama Kaminari (including myself) might
      fit that description, being 6' - 6' 3" and 220# - 280#, and that
      pattern works well for us.

      > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
      > that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is that
      > because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
      > black? i hate red.

      I think that's just a color preference on his part - for example, my
      sode are laced red, with a few rows of white on the bottom. There are
      some pics of other yoroi in the folder for this group on Yahoo that
      have other lacing color schemes, and are quite fine.

      > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
      > a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

      It's a stick. :)
      Seriously, though, it has to follow your kingdom's greatsword
      requirements (length, length of hilt, guard/tsuba, thrusting tip if
      you want one, &c) and the Society's marshallate policies (1.25"
      minimum width, the blade being taped appropriately, &c). Various
      people have different preferences, based on combat style and taste -
      my katanas have a blade length of [hand-at-top-of-hilt to big toe with
      arm relaxed], a hilt of 15", and planed down to 1.25" for its entire
      length.

      > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial freedom,
      > a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to make my
      > armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can i do to
      > accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or accuracy?

      Go for something ashigaru-looking, with the appropriate armored bits
      to be legal (and safe) wherever you're fighting.

      > thats all for now, any help would be appreciated. <<bows>>

      Sir Koredono

      Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono, KSCA
      djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
    • toshio
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2003
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Don Luby <djl@t...> wrote:
        > On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:
        >
        > greetings fellow anachronists!
        > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive
        >been going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events
        >ago i saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have
        >always been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be
        >an injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
        > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the
        >most accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want
        >to go with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu
        >bujinkan, a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja
        >persona. but of course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am
        >going to pretend to be a samurai. so here are my questions

        Would not the best way to avoid detection
        as a ninja would be to dress as a Celt?

        > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
        that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is
        that because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
        black? i hate red.

        Using red for hishinui, the binding laces on the hishinui-no-ita (the
        bottom most row of kozane or plates) is traditional, regardless of
        the color of the vertical lacing used. There were armors laced
        entirely in black, purple, green, but almost always with a
        contrasting color used for hishinui. The left and right most lacing
        on each section of armor is called the Mimi ito and is always some
        contrasting color or multi-colored braid unless you are recreating
        the Wal-Mart special knock-off armors of ashigaru.

        > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
        >a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

        As Koredono-Sensei says, it's a stick. Drop by the Yama-Kaminari
        camp at Pennsic and we'd be happy to help you in your research.

        > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial
        >freedom, a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to
        >make my armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can
        >i do to accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or
        >accuracy?

        You might try one of the "mat" type of armors, using hexagonal plates
        connected by chainmail to a fabric backing. That's pretty cheap and
        easy to wear modern or european joint protection underneath without
        sacrificing your appearance or safety.

        Toshinobu
      • raimarusan
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2003
          of course the best way to avoid detection would be to dress as a
          celt, but thats not as fun now is it?