Re: Local contacts?

  • genevra1676
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2003
      Hi!!

      Yes I did look at Thai Silks this morning--someone on this list
      posted the link last night. Some of their stuff does look nice,
      though as a Japanese newbie I can't tell what is too Chinese or not.
      I did order a couple more books on Japanese garb & textiles that your
      protege Maroe-sama recommended, so hopefully that will help learn
      me. :) And there is a large fabric warehouse in Philly called Jo-Mar
      that has a great selection of fabric for cheap prices; I just haven't
      been there since the Japanese bug bit to see if they have anything
      appropriate.

      How difficult is it to print your own patterns on material (and where
      do I find appropriate patterns)? The main reason I've been
      considering modifying modern kimono is I wasn't sure where or how
      else to get that type of patterned silk otherwise. But if it is not
      too terribly difficult to "paint" my own designs, that would be
      great. I did also previously find a site called www.silken-
      treasures.com which has some really nice cotton prints for $8.50/yd,
      but I wasn't sure if cotton was appropriate for an upper-class woman
      (for my European persona, I almost always use upholstery brocade or
      silky-looking brocade/jacquard). But if you think cotton prints
      would work, than that gives me yet another option. Thanks again,

      Genevra

      P.S.--I won't tell the Laurel police that you used rayon . . . :P

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, ELAINE KOOGLER <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
      > Have you checked out Thai Silks? They have some lovely brocades,
      not
      > 100% silk, but close enough...they do look exactly the same.
      That's
      > what I'm using for my handfasting at Pennsic. They sell there for
      > $11.20/yd, 29" wide. Yes, it's a little pricey, but far less than
      the
      > $29 or $30/yd I've seen at fabric stores in the DC area. I
      purchased 8
      > yards of fabric, and plan on having a fair amount left over. I'll
      be
      > making an uchikake with it. Some of what they have is REALLY
      awful,
      > and some is VERY Chinese in feeling, but they have some that is
      quite
      > lovely.
      >
      > Another place you can check for silk (dupioni which some folks on
      this
      > list believe wouldn't have been used because of the "slubs" in the
      > fabric, crepe, etc.) is Fabrics.com. Again, their prices are quite
      > reasonable. I'm getting brown silk crepe to line my uchikake with
      for
      > 8.95/yd and the fabric is 59" wide!
      >
      > You can also use some kinds of rayon. While it is not period, it
      LOOKS
      > period, depending on what you find. I have made garments out of it
      > that draped beautifully and fit the descriptions I have read in
      many
      > places. Sorry...I know that, as a Laurel I should be very
      concerned
      > about using only period fabric...but I can't always afford it, and
      if I
      > can find a substitute that looks good (some of the cotton prints
      are
      > incredibly good), I say "go for it". I think that the look is more
      > important than content...in this case.
      >
      > Late period upper class folks can also use cotton, linen..and hemp
      is
      > also good. I did find out that Dharma has undyed hemp and I'm
      > considering purchasing some of it to make a kosode...may try to
      print
      > it to make it more interesting.
      >
      > Hope this all helps. I still believe that making your own will
      make
      > you much happier and overall take less time.
      >
      > Kiri

      Japanese.

      > > Mistress
      > >
      > > > Annelise does Heian period as wellas some others. My husband
      > > and I
      > >
      > > do
      > >
      > > > Kamakura. Either of us can probably give you some help on
      > > female
      > >
      > > garb.
      > >

      > > > What kind of info are you looking for or would you like to
      > > get
      > >
      > > together
      > >
      > > > for a brainstorm/sewing circle?
      > >

      > > > Eisental is North of Philly, about an hour, it's about an
      > > hour and

      > > > half to Iron Bog from here.
      > >

      > > > Yomada no Tatsutoshime

      > > southern
      > >
      > > NJ,

      > > lives
      > >
      > > nearby

      > > relating to
      > >
      > > female

      > > Thanks again,

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > >

      > > </tt>
      > >

      > > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

      > > cellspacing=0><tr><td align=center><font face=arial size=-
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2003
        On Fri, 2 May 2003, ELAINE KOOGLER wrote:

        > And...huff, huff...you forgot about me! I live in southern Maryland,
        > which, though still a bit far, is closer than where Ii-dono and Lady
        > Aine live.

        Yes, forgive me. The way I have to get out to your barony always makes it
        feel like it is south of where we are, because we have to figure out how
        to get around DC, but if are outside that then I am sure it is much
        closer, being further east than we are.

        -Ii
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2003

          Greetings from Solveig! A good tea cyclopedia will generally have lots of
          period prints illustrated in it. Mine was mostly destroyed in a flood, but
          it is published by Tankosha. You may be able to borrow a copy through
          interlibrary loan. The Guide To Japanese Literature has color prints of
          fabric patterns. (Note. Despite the English title, this book is in
          Japanese.) I have seen Japanese cotton prints for sale in the garment
          district in Boston. Prior to the invention of the Cotton jin, cotton
          was a luxury fabric. Ramie, Cotton, Linen, Hemp, and Silk were all used
          in Japan during period. Chinese brocades were used in Japan in certain
          contexts.

          It's not the "Laurel Police" it's the "Authenticity Police" and that was
          a gag complete with badges about twenty years ago.

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4, 2003
            the next time you plan to be over this way, let me know and I'll send you directions on how to get through DC...much shorter!

            Kiri
            On Fri, 2 May 2003, ELAINE KOOGLER wrote:

            > And...huff, huff...you forgot about me! I live in southern Maryland,
            > which, though still a bit far, is closer than where Ii-dono and Lady
            > Aine live.

            Yes, forgive me. The way I have to get out to your barony always makes it
            feel like it is south of where we are, because we have to figure out how
            to get around DC, but if are outside that then I am sure it is much
            closer, being further east than we are.

            -Ii

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
            Message 5 of 16 , May 4, 2003
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "genevra1676" <genevra1676@j...>
              wrote:
              > How difficult is it to print your own patterns on material (and
              where
              > do I find appropriate patterns)?

              Greetings,
              In answer to your question, not that difficult. I did my first
              Japanese for West Kingdom Twelfth Night this year (it's on my website
              at www.geocities.com/wodeford - still under construction, so if you
              find any glitches, let me know!). As I couldn't find linoleum blocks
              at the local craft store, I ended up with a sheet of Flexi-foam (it's
              that stuff that has somewhat replaced felt for kids crafts), drew a
              ginko leaf design on it, cut it out with scissors and glued it to a
              wood block. I used Createx white fabric paint and a little water,
              applying paint to the block with a roller. The printing was done on
              silk twill from Dharma Trading, and heat set with an iron. (It came
              so well, I recycled the block and stamped heraldic sunbursts on the
              cotton sheeting curtains we use in our pavilion.)

              I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
              there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
              "Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
              (Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
              (Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
              give you ideas.

              Good luck,
              Makiwara no Yetsuko
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 16 , May 5, 2003

                Greeting from Solveig!

                >I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
                >there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
                >"Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
                >(Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
                >(Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
                >give you ideas.

                Please, please, please, do not rely upon the Matsuya Piece Goods
                Store kamon catalogue. You should understand what this thing is.
                In the nineteen century, the emperor granted all Japanese the
                right to have kamon. So, everyone went out and ordered kimonp with
                kamon on them. Matsuya put together a pattern book for this purpose.
                It has no historical significance unless you are interested in the
                Meiji Restoration.

                For one thing, circles surounding base patterns were rare before 1600.
                They are pretty much stereotypical today.

              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                Message 7 of 16 , May 5, 2003

                  > Please, please, please, do not rely upon the Matsuya Piece Goods
                  > Store kamon catalogue.
                  Whoops! How very Sears And Roebuck of them. Good to know!

                  Thanks,
                  Makiwara
                • sean ibanez
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 5, 2003
                    YOu can find linoleum blocks at your local fine arts store, or you can ordel from Dick Blick(s?) art supply online, or Jerry's Artorama, or at Daniel SMiths' online. Also checkout Speedball, if they're online. They're the most common producers of lilo blocks that I know of, and they make a different lino block that's softer (abnd not actually linoleum). Irobe Saburo Yoriie

                    makiwara_no_yetsuko <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...> wrote:--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "genevra1676" <genevra1676@j...>