Pennsic Classes - Shameless Self Promotion

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 11:18 AM

      Greetings from Solveig! I will be offering the following unworthy "classes"
      at Pennsic this Summer. They will all be held at Clan Yama Kaminari which
      is in E03 behind the white house opposite the Pennsic University. I do not
      know which or how many of these will actually appear in the Pennsic Site
      Book.

      This year, someone suggested that I offer a connected series of classes,
      so there is a group of classes which focus on different aspects of making
      art scrolls.

      If anyone has suggestions on how to improve my classes without simply
      replacing me or has any suggestions on other classes which I should offer,
      please, please, please contact me. I get rather down if I do not have
      plenty of things to do at Pennsic. Thank you very much for your help.

      Personal Information

      Modern Name: Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.
      SCA Name: Solveig Throndardottir
      SCA Titles:
      Mailing Address: SUNY College at Potsdam
      Potsdam, New York 13676
      Telephone: (315) 267-2216
      Email: nostrand@...
      Kingdom: AEthelmearc
      Expected Arrival: Middle of first week.

      Schedule

      Title: Noh-Kyogen: Japanese Drama & Comedy Workshop
      Saturday 9 AUG 03:00 pm to 06:00 pm
      Title: Yamabiko-za Casting
      Sunday 10 AUG 05:00 pm to 06:00 pm

      Title: Elements of Japanese Poetry
      Sunday 10 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Title: Japanese Calligraphy and Scroll Design
      Monday 11 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Title: Japanese Calligraphy Workshop
      Tuesday 12 AUG 02:00 pm to 04:00 pm
      Title: Japanese Painting
      Wednesday 13 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Title: Japanese Signatures and Seals
      Thursday 14 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm

      Title: Japanese Festival Dance
      Tuesday 12 AUG 03:00 pm to 05:00 pm

      Title: Religion of the Samurai
      Thursday 14 AUG 03:00 pm to 04:00 pm

      Title: Muhekian: The Taste of Tea - Chakai
      Monday 11 AUG 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

      Title: Muhekian: The Taste of Tea - Chaji
      Time to be arranged at Pennsic

      Class Information

      **SENT**
      Title: Noh-Kyoggen Workshop: Japanese Dramatic & Comic Theatre
      Kyogen is the classic comic theatre of Japan. A participatory
      introduction to theatre history and theory, staging, costume,
      props and movement. We will read several play synopsis and at
      least two play texts. Participants will be invited to participate
      in command performance to be staged for Ogami Shugo later during
      Pennsic week.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 3 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Time: Saturday 9 AUG 03:00 pm to 06:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      SENT
      Title: Yamabiko-za Casting
      participating in participating in a Noh-Kyogen performance. Noh-Kyogen
      is the medieval theatre of the samurai and includes both comic and dramatic
      plays.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Time: Sunday 10 AUG 05:00 pm to 06:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Elements of Japanese Poetry
      an aesthetics. Includes Japanese poetry from the early classical period
      to the development of Haikai and Haiku. We will consider poth formal poetic
      forms and less formal and even licensious poetry. Participants will
      have an oportunuity to experiment with creating their own poetry.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Time: Sunday 10 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Japanese Calligraphy and Scroll Design
      introduction to designing and executing Japanese official documents. This
      class will introduce the role of the scribe in imperial and medieval
      government along with the nature of official texts. Participants will also
      learn about the evolution of character styles and how documents were attested.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      Time: Monday 11 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Japanese Calligraphy Workshop
      brush technique and how to draw kanji and kana characters. Extended practice
      in Japanese calligraphic technique.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 2 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      Time: Tuesday 12 AUG 02:00 pm to 04:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Japanese Painting
      Japanese brush painting.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 1 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      Time: Wednesday 13 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Japanese Signatures and Seals
      own "kao" signature. Learn to design and carve signature seals.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 1 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      Time: Thursday 14 AUG 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Japanese Festival Dance
      dance movement and a number of festival dances.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 2 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Time: Tuesday 12 AUG 03:00 pm to 05:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Religion of the Samurai
      beliefs, practices, and organization. We will consider the relationship
      between religion and both government and the arts.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 1 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Time: Thursday 14 AUG 03:00 pm to 04:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs:

      Title: Muhekian: The Taste of Tea - Chakai
      Enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky. Please wear Japanese or
      loose-fitting clothing with white socks or tabi. By order of the
      Taiko,
      all weapons are left outside of the tea room.
      Instructor: Solveig Throndardottir
      Co-Instructors: None
      Length: 2 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: 10 particpants + 10 observers
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: $5.00 (optional)
      Fee Description: Pays for Tea, Sweets, &c.
      Time: Monday 11 AUG 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
      Location: Clan Yama Kaminari
      Special Needs: 10 ft x 10 ft area including special fire pit

      Title: Muhekian: The Taste of Tea - Chaji
      Enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky. A tea ceremony for those
      with prior tea experience.