Re: Local contacts?

  • genevra1676
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2 6:58 AM
      Hi!!

      My primary concerns right now are 1) putting together a name and
      persona and 2) putting together some garb.

      A couple of the websites I've hit (including Hiraizumi-dono's) have a
      lot of helpful info on putting together a proper Japanese name. I
      still need to research into late-period Japanese history & culture to
      decide what class, occupation, and history my persona will have. Any
      suggestions about resources here would be helpful . . .

      As for garb, I have found a site offering really nice cotton prints,
      but I'm still trying to find a good & affordable source of patterned
      (woven, embroidered, or painted) Japanese silk. I've seen a couple
      websites that offer bolts of fabric and/or karinui (such as
      www.yokodana.com and www.ichiroya.com), but given the prices I think
      I might be better off buying modern kimono from eBay and then
      modifying them to look more like period kosode & uchikake. I believe
      that kosode sleeves were short and rounded with small sleeve openings
      and attached all the way to the body and that kosode were made to be
      ankle-length (though uchikake could trail), but I still need to learn
      the more subtle differences between modern kimono and late-period
      kosode.

      I would love to get together sometime with some of you for a
      brainstorming/sewing session. Unfortunately, right now I am helping
      my husband finish his senior project at Drexel, so I don't know when
      I'll be free. I'll will let know you when I am to see if we can
      coordinate something.

      Domo arigato,

      Genevra

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rosemary Norwood <liane@m...> wrote:
      > Hi Generva!
      >
      > Here in Eisental we have a small group of us who do Japanese.
      Mistress
      > Annelise does Heian period as wellas some others. My husband and I
      do
      > Kamakura. Either of us can probably give you some help on female
      garb.

      > What kind of info are you looking for or would you like to get
      together
      > for a brainstorm/sewing circle?
      >
      > Eisental is North of Philly, about an hour, it's about an hour and
      > half to Iron Bog from here.
      >
      > Yomada no Tatsutoshime
      >
      > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:28:48PM -0000, genevra1676 wrote:
      > > Hi!!
      > >
      > > One other question . . . I live in Iron Bog (mundanely southern
      NJ,
      > > less than 1/2 hour from Philly). Is there anyone who lives
      nearby
      > > that is knowledgeable in period Japan (especially relating to
      female
      > > garb) or any nearby Japanese households/clans/etc? Thanks again,
      > >
      > > Genevra

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • ELAINE KOOGLER
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2 10:21 AM
        Have you checked out Thai Silks? They have some lovely brocades, not
        100% silk, but close enough...they do look exactly the same. That's
        what I'm using for my handfasting at Pennsic. They sell there for a
        $11.20/yd, 29" wide. Yes, it's a little pricey, but far less than the
        $29 or $30/yd I've seen at fabric stores in the DC area. I purchased 8
        yards of fabric, and plan on having a fair amount left over. I'll be
        making an uchikake with it. Some of what they have is REALLY awful,
        and some is VERY Chinese in feeling, but they have some that is quite
        lovely.

        Another place you can check for silk (dupioni which some folks on this
        list believe wouldn't have been used because of the "slubs" in the
        fabric, crepe, etc.) is Fabrics.com. Again, their prices are quite
        reasonable. I'm getting brown silk crepe to line my uchikake with for
        8.95/yd and the fabric is 59" wide!

        You can also use some kinds of rayon. While it is not period, it LOOKS
        period, depending on what you find. I have made garments out of it
        that draped beautifully and fit the descriptions I have read in many
        places. Sorry...I know that, as a Laurel I should be very concerned
        about using only period fabric...but I can't always afford it, and if I
        can find a substitute that looks good (some of the cotton prints are
        incredibly good), I say "go for it". I think that the look is more
        important than content...in this case.

        Late period upper class folks can also use cotton, linen..and hemp is
        also good. I did find out that Dharma has undyed hemp and I'm
        considering purchasing some of it to make a kosode...may try to print
        it to make it more interesting.

        Hope this all helps. I still believe that making your own will make
        you much happier and overall take less time.

        Kiri

> [...]
        >
        > > half to Iron Bog from here.
        >

        > > Yomada no Tatsutoshime
        >

        > > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:28:48PM -0000, genevra1676 wrote:
        >
        > > > Hi!!
        >

        > > > One other question . . . I live in Iron Bog (mundanely
        > southern
        >
        > NJ,
        >
        > > > less than 1/2 hour from Philly). Is there anyone who
        > lives
        >
        > nearby
        >
        > > > that is knowledgeable in period Japan (especially
        > relating to
        >
        > female
        >
        > > > garb) or any nearby Japanese households/clans/etc?
        > Thanks again,
        >

        > > > Genevra

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >

        > </tt>
        >

        > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

        > cellspacing=0><tr><td align=center><font face=arial size=-
      • genevra1676
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2 12:12 PM
          Hi!!

          Yes I did look at Thai Silks this morning--someone on this list
          posted the link last night. Some of their stuff does look nice,
          though as a Japanese newbie I can't tell what is too Chinese or not.
          I did order a couple more books on Japanese garb & textiles that your
          protege Maroe-sama recommended, so hopefully that will help learn
          me. :) And there is a large fabric warehouse in Philly called Jo-Mar
          that has a great selection of fabric for cheap prices; I just haven't
          been there since the Japanese bug bit to see if they have anything
          appropriate.

          How difficult is it to print your own patterns on material (and where
          do I find appropriate patterns)? The main reason I've been
          considering modifying modern kimono is I wasn't sure where or how
          else to get that type of patterned silk otherwise. But if it is not
          too terribly difficult to "paint" my own designs, that would be
          great. I did also previously find a site called www.silken-
          treasures.com which has some really nice cotton prints for $8.50/yd,
          but I wasn't sure if cotton was appropriate for an upper-class woman
          (for my European persona, I almost always use upholstery brocade or
          silky-looking brocade/jacquard). But if you think cotton prints
          would work, than that gives me yet another option. Thanks again,

          Genevra

          P.S.--I won't tell the Laurel police that you used rayon . . . :P

        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3 5:58 AM
            On Fri, 2 May 2003, ELAINE KOOGLER wrote:

            > And...huff, huff...you forgot about me! I live in southern Maryland,
            > which, though still a bit far, is closer than where Ii-dono and Lady
            > Aine live.

            Yes, forgive me. The way I have to get out to your barony always makes it
            feel like it is south of where we are, because we have to figure out how
            to get around DC, but if are outside that then I am sure it is much
            closer, being further east than we are.

            -Ii
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3 6:33 PM
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! A good tea cyclopedia will generally have lots of
              period prints illustrated in it. Mine was mostly destroyed in a flood, but
              it is published by Tankosha. You may be able to borrow a copy through
              interlibrary loan. The Guide To Japanese Literature has color prints of
              fabric patterns. (Note. Despite the English title, this book is in
              Japanese.) I have seen Japanese cotton prints for sale in the garment
              district in Boston. Prior to the invention of the Cotton jin, cotton
              was a luxury fabric. Ramie, Cotton, Linen, Hemp, and Silk were all used
              in Japan during period. Chinese brocades were used in Japan in certain
              contexts.

              It's not the "Laurel Police" it's the "Authenticity Police" and that was
              a gag complete with badges about twenty years ago.

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4 1:45 PM
                the next time you plan to be over this way, let me know and I'll send you directions on how to get through DC...much shorter!

                Kiri
                On Fri, 2 May 2003, ELAINE KOOGLER wrote:

                > And...huff, huff...you forgot about me! I live in southern Maryland,
                > which, though still a bit far, is closer than where Ii-dono and Lady
                > Aine live.

                Yes, forgive me. The way I have to get out to your barony always makes it
                feel like it is south of where we are, because we have to figure out how
                to get around DC, but if are outside that then I am sure it is much
                closer, being further east than we are.

                -Ii

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4 10:34 PM
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "genevra1676" <genevra1676@j...>
                  wrote:
                  > How difficult is it to print your own patterns on material (and
                  where
                  > do I find appropriate patterns)?

                  Greetings,
                  In answer to your question, not that difficult. I did my first
                  Japanese for West Kingdom Twelfth Night this year (it's on my website
                  at www.geocities.com/wodeford - still under construction, so if you
                  find any glitches, let me know!). As I couldn't find linoleum blocks
                  at the local craft store, I ended up with a sheet of Flexi-foam (it's
                  that stuff that has somewhat replaced felt for kids crafts), drew a
                  ginko leaf design on it, cut it out with scissors and glued it to a
                  wood block. I used Createx white fabric paint and a little water,
                  applying paint to the block with a roller. The printing was done on
                  silk twill from Dharma Trading, and heat set with an iron. (It came
                  so well, I recycled the block and stamped heraldic sunbursts on the
                  cotton sheeting curtains we use in our pavilion.)

                  I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
                  there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
                  "Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
                  (Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
                  (Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
                  give you ideas.

                  Good luck,
                  Makiwara no Yetsuko
                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 5 12:57 AM
                    Noble Cousins!

                    Greeting from Solveig!

                    >I know the others have posted the link to the Kyoto Costume Museum -
                    >there is a textile gallery which may give you some ideas on designs.
                    >"Japanese Design Motifs; 4260 Illustrations of Heraldic Crests"
                    >(Dover Pictorial Archive Series)by Matsuya, Matsuya Piece-Goods Store
                    >(Compiler), Fumie Adachi runs about $11 on Amazon.com and may also
                    >give you ideas.

                    Please, please, please, do not rely upon the Matsuya Piece Goods
                    Store kamon catalogue. You should understand what this thing is.
                    In the nineteen century, the emperor granted all Japanese the
                    right to have kamon. So, everyone went out and ordered kimonp with
                    kamon on them. Matsuya put together a pattern book for this purpose.
                    It has no historical significance unless you are interested in the
                    Meiji Restoration.

                    For one thing, circles surounding base patterns were rare before 1600.
                    They are pretty much stereotypical today.

                  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 5 5:31 PM

                      > Please, please, please, do not rely upon the Matsuya Piece Goods
                      > Store kamon catalogue.
                      Whoops! How very Sears And Roebuck of them. Good to know!

                      Thanks,
                      Makiwara
                    • sean ibanez
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 5 10:13 PM
                        YOu can find linoleum blocks at your local fine arts store, or you can ordel from Dick Blick(s?) art supply online, or Jerry's Artorama, or at Daniel SMiths' online. Also checkout Speedball, if they're online. They're the most common producers of lilo blocks that I know of, and they make a different lino block that's softer (abnd not actually linoleum). Irobe Saburo Yoriie

                        makiwara_no_yetsuko <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...> wrote:--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "genevra1676" <genevra1676@j...>