Re: [SCA-JML] Re: First Post! a few amor questions

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      Hi, I don't know if this book has ever been talked
      about. You might want to try and find it. It is called
      "Samurai Undressed" by Jacqui Carey. It was published
      in 1995, ISBN 095232251x. It is 80 pages and cost
      about $18. I would try a internet search to find the
      book. It was published in England and did not show up
      on my Library Book Search Program for US libraries. It
      is a small size book that is about "The Braiding
      Part" of the armour.
      http://www.careycompany.com/sam-undress.html
      I own the book if you want to know more about it.
      Bill
      --- raimarusan <raimaru@...> wrote:
      > thanks i think the clothes over armor idea is just
      > what im looking
      > for, consequently, i went back over the site, for
      > like the five
      > millionth time, and i have decided to go with the
      > black laquer/ kon
      > lacing theme, thanks.

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      School of One
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Don Luby
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2003
        On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:

        > greetings fellow anachronists!
        > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive been
        > going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events ago i
        > saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have always
        > been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be an
        > injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
        > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the most
        > accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want to go
        > with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu bujinkan,
        > a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja persona. but of
        > course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am going to pretend to
        > be a samurai. so here are my questions
        >
        > 1. i prefer to dodge blows rather than block them, but in the only
        > armor i've fought in, late 16th european plate, there was no
        > possibility for this. plus i am a bit on the large side of the size
        > scale, what pattern of do should i use?

        Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'large side of the size scale',
        but a number of the fighters in Yama Kaminari (including myself) might
        fit that description, being 6' - 6' 3" and 220# - 280#, and that
        pattern works well for us.

        > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
        > that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is that
        > because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
        > black? i hate red.

        I think that's just a color preference on his part - for example, my
        sode are laced red, with a few rows of white on the bottom. There are
        some pics of other yoroi in the folder for this group on Yahoo that
        have other lacing color schemes, and are quite fine.

        > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
        > a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

        It's a stick. :)
        Seriously, though, it has to follow your kingdom's greatsword
        requirements (length, length of hilt, guard/tsuba, thrusting tip if
        you want one, &c) and the Society's marshallate policies (1.25"
        minimum width, the blade being taped appropriately, &c). Various
        people have different preferences, based on combat style and taste -
        my katanas have a blade length of [hand-at-top-of-hilt to big toe with
        arm relaxed], a hilt of 15", and planed down to 1.25" for its entire
        length.

        > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial freedom,
        > a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to make my
        > armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can i do to
        > accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or accuracy?

        Go for something ashigaru-looking, with the appropriate armored bits
        to be legal (and safe) wherever you're fighting.

        > thats all for now, any help would be appreciated. <<bows>>

        Sir Koredono

        Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono, KSCA
        djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
      • toshio
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2003
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Don Luby <djl@t...> wrote:
          > On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:
          >
          > greetings fellow anachronists!
          > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive
          >been going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events
          >ago i saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have
          >always been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be
          >an injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
          > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the
          >most accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want
          >to go with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu
          >bujinkan, a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja
          >persona. but of course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am
          >going to pretend to be a samurai. so here are my questions

          Would not the best way to avoid detection
          as a ninja would be to dress as a Celt?

          > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
          that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is
          that because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
          black? i hate red.

          Using red for hishinui, the binding laces on the hishinui-no-ita (the
          bottom most row of kozane or plates) is traditional, regardless of
          the color of the vertical lacing used. There were armors laced
          entirely in black, purple, green, but almost always with a
          contrasting color used for hishinui. The left and right most lacing
          on each section of armor is called the Mimi ito and is always some
          contrasting color or multi-colored braid unless you are recreating
          the Wal-Mart special knock-off armors of ashigaru.

          > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
          >a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

          As Koredono-Sensei says, it's a stick. Drop by the Yama-Kaminari
          camp at Pennsic and we'd be happy to help you in your research.

          > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial
          >freedom, a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to
          >make my armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can
          >i do to accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or
          >accuracy?

          You might try one of the "mat" type of armors, using hexagonal plates
          connected by chainmail to a fabric backing. That's pretty cheap and
          easy to wear modern or european joint protection underneath without
          sacrificing your appearance or safety.

          Toshinobu
        • raimarusan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2003
            of course the best way to avoid detection would be to dress as a
            celt, but thats not as fun now is it?