Re: First Post! a few amor questions

  • raimarusan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      thanks i think the clothes over armor idea is just what im looking
      for, consequently, i went back over the site, for like the five
      millionth time, and i have decided to go with the black laquer/ kon
      lacing theme, thanks.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        Hi, I don't know if this book has ever been talked
        about. You might want to try and find it. It is called
        "Samurai Undressed" by Jacqui Carey. It was published
        in 1995, ISBN 095232251x. It is 80 pages and cost
        about $18. I would try a internet search to find the
        book. It was published in England and did not show up
        on my Library Book Search Program for US libraries. It
        is a small size book that is about "The Braiding
        Part" of the armour.
        http://www.careycompany.com/sam-undress.html
        I own the book if you want to know more about it.
        Bill
        --- raimarusan <raimaru@...> wrote:
        > thanks i think the clothes over armor idea is just
        > what im looking
        > for, consequently, i went back over the site, for
        > like the five
        > millionth time, and i have decided to go with the
        > black laquer/ kon
        > lacing theme, thanks.

        =====
        Bill Fornshell
        Founder and President
        Cold Mountain Chanoyu
        (Tea School for the New Millennium)
        School of One
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Don Luby
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2003
          On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:

          > greetings fellow anachronists!
          > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive been
          > going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events ago i
          > saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have always
          > been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be an
          > injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
          > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the most
          > accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want to go
          > with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu bujinkan,
          > a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja persona. but of
          > course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am going to pretend to
          > be a samurai. so here are my questions
          >
          > 1. i prefer to dodge blows rather than block them, but in the only
          > armor i've fought in, late 16th european plate, there was no
          > possibility for this. plus i am a bit on the large side of the size
          > scale, what pattern of do should i use?

          Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'large side of the size scale',
          but a number of the fighters in Yama Kaminari (including myself) might
          fit that description, being 6' - 6' 3" and 220# - 280#, and that
          pattern works well for us.

          > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
          > that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is that
          > because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
          > black? i hate red.

          I think that's just a color preference on his part - for example, my
          sode are laced red, with a few rows of white on the bottom. There are
          some pics of other yoroi in the folder for this group on Yahoo that
          have other lacing color schemes, and are quite fine.

          > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
          > a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

          It's a stick. :)
          Seriously, though, it has to follow your kingdom's greatsword
          requirements (length, length of hilt, guard/tsuba, thrusting tip if
          you want one, &c) and the Society's marshallate policies (1.25"
          minimum width, the blade being taped appropriately, &c). Various
          people have different preferences, based on combat style and taste -
          my katanas have a blade length of [hand-at-top-of-hilt to big toe with
          arm relaxed], a hilt of 15", and planed down to 1.25" for its entire
          length.

          > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial freedom,
          > a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to make my
          > armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can i do to
          > accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or accuracy?

          Go for something ashigaru-looking, with the appropriate armored bits
          to be legal (and safe) wherever you're fighting.

          > thats all for now, any help would be appreciated. <<bows>>

          Sir Koredono

          Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono, KSCA
          djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
        • toshio
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2003
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Don Luby <djl@t...> wrote:
            > On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:41 PM, raimarusan wrote:
            >
            > greetings fellow anachronists!
            > I have been going to sca events for a while now, and so far ive
            >been going in the guise of an early period celt. but a few events
            >ago i saw someone there that was dressed in japanese garb. I have
            >always been a fan of japanese culture, and decided that it would be
            >an injustice for me to continue under false pretences (I am a celt by
            > blood, but who's counting). so anyway, i am trying to make the
            >most accurate armor i can, for combat of course, but the way i want
            >to go with it is a bit strange. I am a student of togakure ryu
            >bujinkan, a.k.a. ninjutsu, and so i am going to have a ninja
            >persona. but of course i dont want anyone to know that, so i am
            >going to pretend to be a samurai. so here are my questions

            Would not the best way to avoid detection
            as a ninja would be to dress as a Celt?

            > 2. I was looking at baron edward of effingham's site, and i noticed
            that all the sode had a few rows of red laceing at the bottom, is
            that because they all had them, or would it be ok if i change that to
            black? i hate red.

            Using red for hishinui, the binding laces on the hishinui-no-ita (the
            bottom most row of kozane or plates) is traditional, regardless of
            the color of the vertical lacing used. There were armors laced
            entirely in black, purple, green, but almost always with a
            contrasting color used for hishinui. The left and right most lacing
            on each section of armor is called the Mimi ito and is always some
            contrasting color or multi-colored braid unless you are recreating
            the Wal-Mart special knock-off armors of ashigaru.

            > 3. does anyone know a website that has instrucions for constructing
            >a katana out of rattan? i cant find one anywhere.

            As Koredono-Sensei says, it's a stick. Drop by the Yama-Kaminari
            camp at Pennsic and we'd be happy to help you in your research.

            > 4. although i personally have much in the way of financial
            >freedom, a shinobi playing samurai probably wouldnt, so i want to
            >make my armor seem cheap, by 1600's japanese measurements, what can
            >i do to accomplish this, without sacrificing period style, or
            >accuracy?

            You might try one of the "mat" type of armors, using hexagonal plates
            connected by chainmail to a fabric backing. That's pretty cheap and
            easy to wear modern or european joint protection underneath without
            sacrificing your appearance or safety.

            Toshinobu
          • raimarusan
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2003
              of course the best way to avoid detection would be to dress as a
              celt, but thats not as fun now is it?